Logo

Genset Coolant

chuckie

"I need to top off my 7kW gens

"I need to top off my 7kW genset with coolant. The manual says to use a 50/50 mix of ethylene glycol and soft water. Where does one find highly toxic ethylene glycol. Isn't there something else I can buy at Wal-Mart that will work just as well and not void my warranty ?

Thanks, Chuck"

"Chuck,

Ethylene Glycol is

"Chuck,

Ethylene Glycol is the key component in automotive anti-freeze. That's what you need."

"Thanks for the info Rick.

"Thanks for the info Rick.

1. Should I mix it with water or use full strength, I have some distilled water.

2.Would it be OK to use an extended-life antifreeze/coolant formula like dex-cool that enables a five-year service change interval."

"If your unit is less than one

"If your unit is less than one year old, Kohler has Dex-cool extended life in it, use that. Buy the pre-mix, which is already 50/50. If your current coolant is green, use the green pre-mix. Dex-cool is fine for either system, but you don't want to add it to the green solution, you would need to drain and refill the system with the extended life."

"Looking at the little bit tha

"Looking at the little bit that's in the overflow bottle it's definately not green, looks like a shade of orange. I believe this is the same stuff that is in the fresh water cooling system of the engine, is that also a 50/50 pre-mix in the engines ?

Chuck"

Back