Logo

Tohatsu 98 4 stroke Runs rough at first

laministry

My 2004 Tohatsu 9.8 4 stroke R

My 2004 Tohatsu 9.8 4 stroke Runs great in neutral. Easy to start but acts like its on 1 cylinder when put in gear...about 10 seconds later all is well and runs perfect until you put it back in nuetral then the process repeats. Any ideas???? Runs to good to be something serious.

no...should I? When I bought

no...should I? When I bought it the carb was full of oil from being laid on the wrong side. I removed it and cleaned it with gas.

"Always run an outboard dry wh

"Always run an outboard dry when you are done using it. It does not hurt the engine(if it is healthy) and prevents the number one cause of outboard problems...Carburetor issues. Your problem doesn't sound electrical or mechanical, so that leaves the fuel system. It's possible(likely) that the idle circuit is partially blocked. Clean the carb by dipping it in carburetor cleaner for one hour. Remove any rubber or plastic parts off it first. Then try it again."

"I have a 2007 Tohatsu 9.8 4 s

"I have a 2007 Tohatsu 9.8 4 stroke. It just completed the break-in period where it ran smooth, then very rough. I changed the spark plugs and then ran great for a short while. Now it's all over the place. Currently, it's very rough -- barely running only when warm up lever is way up, then stalls when put into neutral. It's getting gas, ob filter appears clear. Is there a in tank filter I should check? Dirty carb issues, or lean air fuel adjsmt? Thanks."

"Sounds like trash in the carb

"Sounds like trash in the carb. But first, always change your spark plugs. There is no air adjustment on the carb, only an idle adjustment. For anything other than sparkplugs take it into the dealer for warranty service."

"Wonder if it might be possibl

"Wonder if it might be possible to clean the carb myself. Is it that difficult to take it off and spray/soak in carb cleaner? Do I need to look at a manual? Advice? To take it to dealer would require taking it out of boat, undoing difficult linkages (it's a remote), manpower, effort and a few weeks time--though maybe as a last resort. Thanks again."

"So, I took out the carb, disa

"So, I took out the carb, disassembled, (contained brownish, powder-like stuff) cleaned and soaked in carb cleaner for 3 hrs, assembled again and -- exactly the same as before. Seems to idle at higher speeds, but not at low. And runs rough. Running too lean? Also, changed out gas, checked fuel tank lines, etc, all okay. Any other ideas?"

"I'm going to try it again

"I'm going to try it again. Is there some special carb cleaner to use. Last time I had to spray an entire can into a container to soak it (could not find a liquid bottle). Also, is spraying compressed air into carb to clean out a good idea? Thanks for your advice."

"Carb cleaner comes in 1 and 5

"Carb cleaner comes in 1 and 5 gallon cans and is available from any auto parts store..The stuff you can spray is useless. After dipping the carb components in cleaner and then washing it with water, you blow air through it."

"Hi there. I also have a 9.8 4

"Hi there. I also have a 9.8 4-stroke, and have a question. It runs fine, but I notice a whine that appears just a little bit above idle speed, then fades out as I give it more revs. Is this normal, or maybe something like a loose timing belt. . .if it has such a thing?"

"Hi, seems like i'm having

"Hi, seems like i'm having a similar problem with a new Tohatsu outboard (3 weeks in use) where it will not start until the warm up lever is all the way up and running rough. Once the lever is lowered the engine dies. It was running fine just last week without any issues. Given that it's a new outboard is it expected to change a new spark plug and clean the carburator? how often should the carburator be cleaned to ensure that the outboard doesn't stall?
sorry to say that it's been a disappointing experience so far."

The carb only needs to be clea

The carb only needs to be cleaned when consumers use bad or old fuel...Take your engine into an authorized dealer and let them determine the problem.

Back