Logo

Tohatsu steering

oldtimer

How do you remove inner steeri

How do you remove inner steering cable from a 60hp Tohatsu. Have disconnected outer cable from motor & steering box but can not get inner cable to wind out.

"Guru,Thanks for a quick reply

"Guru,Thanks for a quick reply. It seems I explained baddly. What I wish to do is grease the cable.It looks like a Teleflex Safe-T QC.
I presumed that I could wind it out after releasing it from the motor. Is there something else I need to undo."

Lets start from the beginning.

Lets start from the beginning. You have a steering cable. On one in it goes up into a steering head underneath the steering wheel. On the other in it slides into a steering tube on the outboard. Which end is the issue?

"Guru, The problem seems to be

"Guru, The problem seems to be in the steering head. The other end is free of the steering tube.I thought once the motor end was removed from the steering tube it was simply a matter of winding it out of the steering head.Not happening. I have had other motors and can not recall having these problems. Oldtimer"

"As I remember it, the Safe-T

"As I remember it, the Safe-T heads do not have a retaining clip preventing the cable from coming all the way out. It could be abnormaly tight or it might be damaged where it prevents it from being removed. In any case, a new steering system is around a $100.00 and you would be better served by just replacing it rather than spending any time trying to fix it."

Back