Logo

water temp sender question

J

jay presti

"Hello, after overheating/ reb

"Hello, after overheating/ rebuilding 1980 pcm/ford 302 shamrock, trying to be sure I'm getting accurate h20 temp readings. Wondering how important it is to match the same brand sender w/ new teleflex gauge. Can't seem to find 3/8" single gauge sender (can only find 1/2" size). Don't know what brand I removed from the overheated manifold. I did find one for ford (auto) that fit; but will I get proper temp reading for saltwater use?? thanx, JP"

"There are usually several sen

"There are usually several sending units available, as I recently found. There are those for single station and those for dual stations. Most gauges will give a technical description on what matches the guage. It given is in ohms.

Teleflex technical data on thir site shows that the sender should have the following resistance at these temperatures. 120 degrees is 240 ohms,
180 degrees is 70 ohms and 240 degrees is 30 ohms. In a dual gauge setup the sender is one half thses amounts.

Check the sender cold and if it is about 240 ohms it should be good for the gauge you installed.I found that usually the single station sender is pretty standard and interchangable."

"I really appreciate the help.

"I really appreciate the help. thank you. did some more catalog searchin & found it, then double checked by calling teleflex. in case anyone needs it in future. 3/8" single water temp sender teleflex mfg part # 52320s009 retail $17.00 -JP"

Not a bad idea to toss an over

Not a bad idea to toss an overheat buzzer / low oil psi buzzer in there as well. 50 bucks or so and lots of peace of mind. Mine saved my engine this summer. Too many bikinis around to stare mindlessly at either gauge constantly.

now thats funny...but so true!

now thats funny...but so true! I felt like such an idiot- overheating my boat because I wasn't paying attention (in this case the distraction was a bunch of schoolie dolphin). An alarm screamin at me could've saved me lots of time and mon$y. Will definitely invest in one. thanx-JP

You can get one from Discount

You can get one from Discount Inboard Marine among others.

It was a bit of work to install mine because I had to fabricate a brass T fitting to hold both the oil psi and low psi sending units.

The water temp sender I screwed right into the port on the top of the water pump (ford 351).

"Note that there are two types

"Note that there are two types of sender units: One for single helms, and one for multiple helms (with a flybridge). Got to get the right ones.

Jeff"

Back