Logo

8 HP idles well but not at higher RPMS also no water coming out the back

jordanthompson

"Hi all,
I have a Honda 8 HP

"Hi all,
I have a Honda 8 HP (BF8, I think.) I recently took it off the boat as it would not start at all. I removed the carb, took as much of it apart as I felt comfortable doing, and stuck it in some carb cleaner for just over half an hour (first removed the plastic and neoprene parts where I could see them.)

It now starts and runs fine at idle and accelerates to a point, but stumbles and peters out when I give it gas over that point. It seems to run better at higher RPMs when I hold my hand across the air intake of the carburetor.

I don't know if this is related, but it is also a problem: The motor was not spitting water out the top, so I replaced the impeller, which did not help (the old one was in reasonable condition.) I noticed that there is some water escaping out a hole in the thermostat assembly, so I assume it is running a little hot. Temperature does not seem to affect the idle speed nor the higher RPM problem.

thanks for your suggestions,
Jordan"

Another piece of information I

Another piece of information I unintentionally omitted: There is an adjustment screw on the side of the carb that I thought was the high speed setting. I have tried adjusting it at idle and at the highest RPM I can run it at without it stopping and it doesn't seem to make any difference.

first fix the water leak asap!

first fix the water leak asap!
sounds like a fuel pump issue or a float height needs adjustment

"If your putting your hand ove

"If your putting your hand over the air intake of the carburetor and it runs better, that tells me that your engine is running lean, chances are your carburetor cleaning wasn't good enough. Also soaking a carb is carb cleaner for 30 mins is a big no no, that will damage the coating of the carb and allow air to enter, because the material they make carbs out of is very porous. Anyways, so i would get someone who can clean a carb to give your carburetor a once over, even taking just the carb to the dealer will not cost much, remember to bring your model number with you. Also check the operation of your thermostat, if that is ok, check the impellar plate for wear marks. Make sure the water tube is correctly installed and free of debris. I hope my info helps you."

Back