Logo

1979 Procraft Wiring for Batterys

marks500

Contributing Member
"I just got a 1979 pro craft B

"I just got a 1979 pro craft Bass boat in Excellent condition.It has two batteries in it, You know the one for starting and the one for the front of the boat for trolling motor. Well when I got it, it only had one Battery, The one for starting and all that, I want to put the second battery in, Well there are two sets of wires for the second battery, One set is a big round cable with a black and a white wire coming out of it, and the other is a Flat cable with a black and a white wire coming out of it. They are all the same colors I dont know what is positive or negative, I dont know if all the wires go on the battery or what. I dont want to fry anything. Anyone know anything? It would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks."

"Mark...
At first guess, I wo

"Mark...
At first guess, I would say that the flat wire is probably the ground wire. Having said that, you may have to go and start chasing wires to see where they go. On an older boat that I have, there is a similar arrangement for batt connections, but at the point where the terminals (that connect to the batt posts) are soldered onto the cables, there is a white rubber sheath over the solder joint that has some very small +++ and the other has ---. Look closely to see if you have the same type of thing. Both my cables are round at that point, but also have multiple other wires coming out of them. See if one of the heavy ones goes to a fuse/breaker/solenoid or some other protective device. That would probably be the +. Check if one of the small ones go to a fuse/breaker/solenoid or light/volt meter. That'll be the +.

Wrench"

"Yeah I might have to chase th

"Yeah I might have to chase them down, The only thing is they run up under the floor and to the very front. I am just wondering, There are two wires, each have two wires coming off them, One black and one white on each wire... do I hook up both of them?"

"ok well I did some thinking..

"ok well I did some thinking... there are two plugs for trolling motors up front, one small outlet and one big outlet and a switch for battery one and battery two.. So that means that one set of wires is for one battery and one set is for the other... So I hooked up one set and the trolling motor worked, I hooked up the other set and got nothing. So I am assuming I got it figured out???"

Back