Logo

Motor Undersized

Just looking into buying a new

Just looking into buying a new boat I found. It is a 16 foot flat bottom smoker craft. it has a 20 horse mercury jet on it. Is that big enough for this boat? Seems a bit underpowered to me due to jets losing 30% of HP

"Corey, sounds like that boat

"Corey, sounds like that boat was used (obviously) for a specific application.

You don't mention the year or model of the boat, so in some instances a 20 on a 16 foot (utility) may be fine - a 20 is the max rating for my 14' deep V.

The 20 horse jet would however act more like a 15 horse (prop) and burn a whole lot more gas in the process.

Unless you wanted to run this yourself in conditions that need a jet either keep looking or if the deal is good, pick it up, sell the engine and throw something else (bigger)on (if the hp rating for the boat allows it).

In any case, if you don't need to run a jet, I wouldn't..."

Yeah it was a river boat...wha

Yeah it was a river boat...what i'd like to..i dont require a jet..but it is a nice option. I did find out its a 25hp head but 20 horse to the jet... its a 2004 smoker craft with a 04 Merc...and its a pretty plain jon boat.. i did decide to pick it up today for 1000 dollars..a steal pretty much i think...but now my question is...he lost the registration for it..so i got a bill of sale with all the serial numbers etc...im kinda in a panic if this is all i need..im trying to find out on the internet but im not having luck..so if anyones knows Michigans rules for registration let me know please.. Thanks

Corey

"Corey, excellent price - the

"Corey, excellent price - the motor was worth more than a grand by itself.

Here's the "rules" for a new registration in Michigan - For a new registration, you'll need to visit a Secretary of State branch office. Bring your title "or" bill of sale, along with cash or a check (branch offices do not accept credit or debit cards). You can check out the whole thing at www.dmv.org/mi-michigan/boat-registration.php

Just the bill of sale is enough, they will issue you a new title (just went through this last summer with my brother-in-law)..."

Back