Logo

Motor Position for Trailering Boat

M

Malcolm Barnes

I have a Mercury 135 ourboard.

I have a Mercury 135 ourboard. When traveling have had motor fully up and motor rest in position. Last trip (2 hour) motor had fuel leeking out under cover and out exhaust hole under drainer. What position should the motor be in to transport and does it need a support if not fully up?

Have you fried running the fue

Have you fried running the fuel out of the carbs before you tilt the engine? You need to tilt the engine to avoid damage to the lower unit when going over bumps.

"Thanks for your suggestion, I

"Thanks for your suggestion, I havent done as you suggest. Is that done simply by disconnecting the fuel line and letting it run until the motor stops? I have noticed some people put a block of wood behind the motor rather than use the stay. Is that better than full up ?"

Yes that will do it. Always ru

Yes that will do it. Always run it in the water or with the flush hose connected. The wood block will take some strain off the stay. They also make a motor rest to do the same but the block of wood has worked for me for many years.

"Thanks Robert. What are trim

"Thanks Robert. What are trim rams , Justintime? Could you please explain what you mean?"

He means if your outboard has

He means if your outboard has tilt and trim that it is best to use the trim and raise hte motor for transport using them.

"yep
running the gas out of c

"yep
running the gas out of carbs is ok, but if you do not use he boat, they might gumm up or varnish due to the air and no fuel"

"Malcolm...
I have an OMC 4 c

"Malcolm...
I have an OMC 4 cyl outboard on my old boat. 2 two bbl carbs on the front of this thing. I run the fuel out of the carbs by tilting the motor all the way up and driving down the road. They empty out just fine into the backwash area and it only needs a little wipe out with a cloth when I get to where I'm going. I've owned this boat for many years and have always let them drain naturally. Theres only about 1 cup of fuel in each carb bowl, its not likes its a gallon or anything. Tie a shop rag into the area where the carbs drain, around the cables and steering, to catch the gas and you'll be just fine.....Also make sure that the tank vent is free and clear and not building pressure in the system as it is sloshing down the road.

Wrench"

Thanks for the good advice. I

Thanks for the good advice. I have a few options to consider.

"My 1975 115 has an arm that t

"My 1975 115 has an arm that tilts down from between the tilt/trim cyls for the motor to rest. This keeps the weight and shock off of the cyls. However, the manual says to trailer in the normal run position, if there is not enough road clearance, place in full tilt."

"Mike...
The Johnson 115 on m

"Mike...
The Johnson 115 on my old boat has a similar set up as your motor, possibly the same system. When trailering it, I tilt the motor all the way up, flip down the little lever, and tilt the motor back down untill it rests on the lever. It only tilts down about 1/2 an inch to rest on the lever. This takes all the weight off the cyls. and supports the motor better when going down a bouncy road. I don't have a manual for this boat/motor, but I have always used this practice and have had good luck trailering all over southern Ontario.

Wrench"

Back