Logo

4108 Smoking

stevefredrick

"I have a 1986 4-108, 2700 hou

"I have a 1986 4-108, 2700 hours. Engine has been running fine with no smoke, then the injection pump started leaking, so I had it rebuilt, then reinstalled with timing marks aligned. Heavy black smoke started at wide open throttle, full load. Had the injectors rebuilt, new lift pump, new exhaust elbow, muffler, hose, etc. Pump rebuilder has suggested advancing timing slightly. Any suggestions? I am baffled as it was running perfectly before all the fuel system repairs."

"again i would go back to basi

"again i would go back to basics, perhaps engine is just tired and now with new pump system operating at max you just cant burn properly all the fuel being injected into cylinders, this isnt the first time ive heard these concerns after rebuilding injector systems, have you engine tested compression/leak down and procede
from there, good luck . rodney."

"Hi Rodney

I did not check

"Hi Rodney

I did not check compression as the engine was running perfectly before the rebuild. I cannot attain the same RPM's or the same boat speed under load as before the rebuild. At no load, I can reach max revs. The engine starts instantly just as before.

I will post an eventual resolution to this issue, but it may take a while."

"Remember that the fuel amount

"Remember that the fuel amount delivered for a given RPM is adjusted by the governor setting. I suspect that for some reason, that for a given RPM the injector pump is delivering too much fuel. Tends to be aggravated at the high RPM end due to loading. I would have the pump given a re-look over."

I have a mid 80s new holland s

I have a mid 80s new holland skid steer l555 with a perkins diesel it smokes a lot at start up. The smoke dosnt go away when fully warm its not as bad but it still smokes. Its kinda whitesh or blueish in color.Do you think it could be the fuel injectors? Other than that it runs good has a lot of power. I changed the air filter and it seam to help a little it doesnt smoke as bad. when it sits over night it takes a little time to get it started on warm days or cold. THANKS

Back