Logo

Christmas Eve outboard project

seadog

"Can't think of a better w

"Can't think of a better way to spend Christmas Eve - fixing my 8 HP Honda outboard. Love to work on my boat! So... I took apart the whole lower unit, replaced the impeller (which still looked good), put it all back together, and the same problem remains - no water coming out of the outlet pipe. I'm thinking there is a salt block in the engine, or maybe the thermostat is bad. But, I thought it would still have water coming out the outlet pipe even if the thermostat is bad, but I might be wrong. Any ideas? I'm sure learning a lot about outboards. Merry Christmas sailors!"

"Thanks for the advice, but it

"Thanks for the advice, but it's not the hose (I've cleaned it many times before). My guess is a build up of salt deposit inside the engine. I think my next step is to go in after the thermostat and see what's there."

"I have 1999 90hp honda,when r

"I have 1999 90hp honda,when running wot about 5 minutes red alarm comes on engine shuts down to idle i can get right back on wot in seconds but in about same amount of time it will do same thing.It only does it wot,i can back off throtle will run all day.I changed impeller,thermostat also cleaned on bottom side of where water line goes in a pressure regulated spring thats what it looked to me.was told to take themostat out leave thermostat cover off ran engine in tub of water in neutral at high rpm for a little bit to clean out any build up in ports.after putting back together pea stream still seems to not be as strong as once was and seems to fluctuate.any advice on what could be going on would be great."

Back