Logo

Carburetor base amp PCV inlet

shamrock20

Contributing Member
I removed the carburetor on my

I removed the carburetor on my 1987 PCM 302 and had the carb rebuilt. Now I have excessive crankcase pressure. Could it be that I pur the carburetor base on upsidedown to create the problem?

I have a 1980 shamrock w/ pcm/

I have a 1980 shamrock w/ pcm/ford 302 engine (heads recently rebuilt) wont idle below 17k rpm shuts off. timing the engine w/a light & want to be sure I have right info: is 6 degrees below TDC correct?

I think I have my crankcase pr

I think I have my crankcase pressure under control. My oil leak turned out to be a defective oil filter not excessive pressure. It took a while to find it.

"Jaye, I think you mean 1700 r

"Jaye, I think you mean 1700 rpm. I just timed my 302 and it was stalling at lower than 1200 rpm. I backed off on the timing advance. Rotate the distributor CW. When it would idle well I set it to 600 RPM and reset the timing to 8 degrees. It does fluctuate some do to the electronic ignition on the Prestolite distributor. Everything sounds good and the idle is smooth."

"Mr. Hunter, first off, sorry

"Mr. Hunter, first off, sorry for jumpin into your forum. I'm new to the site-didn't realize I'd be in this heading. I overheated my 20ft cc shamrock while trollin for dolphin in s. FL. I'm not a mechanic & have some one helping me w/ the overhaul, so I'm glad to have found someone who has experienced the same prob as mine. Seems like all else w/ the headgasket, exhaust manifolds, hoses etc refit went well- just can't get an idle... We'll try your suggestion- THANK YOU! -JP"

"Sounds to me like you have a

"Sounds to me like you have a vacuum leak. Better pull the carb and eyeball the gasket. Then put a nice, new one one and tighten the bolts nice and evenly.

Jeff"

"Jeff, thanx for the input. Th

"Jeff, thanx for the input. The heads were magnafluxed & resurfaced as well as thorough intake manifold cleaning.(sorry to leave that out) Therefore, we also re-gasketed the Holley 4bl @ reassembly. If the timing adj doesn't give us a steady idle, the carb (& vac check) is next; don't know when it was last serviced but trying to avoid replacement @ this time. Thanx again, Jay"

thanx for all the help guys- w

thanx for all the help guys- we got a nice idle from the shamy this weekend by adjusting the timing advance (slight clockwise turn did it) sounds real nice & cant wait to float her again soon- it's been months!! -JP

Back