Logo

120 Lehman starting problems

B

Bill Tait

"I have a 120hp Lehman and it

"I have a 120hp Lehman and it seems to have developed a couple of problems. I added a pair of new Racor 900 filters and an electric fuel pump to service both main engine and generator. Since that time the engine has been incredibly hard to start and when it does it sounds like it's starving for fuel. I have bled the secondary filter on the engine and the injector pump and there is plenty of fuel, but to no avail. When cold it has to be cranked for ever to start. When it starts (fires) it runs for an instant then cuts out. The only way to actual get it to run is to open the throttle. When it starts, it hunts as if starving for fuel; revs are up and down. When it warms up, it seems fine. The electric pump maintains a positive pressure (40 psi). Any ideas what is wrong?

Second problem:

There is a minor external coolant leak between the head and block at the rear of the engine. And a small oil leak at the same joint, around #3 cylinder area. If I'm not mistaken the head gasket must be leaking/weeping. Should I be concerned about this?"

"Bill
I would feed one fuel p

"Bill
I would feed one fuel pump per engine, yes change gasket now before you damage it good."

Back