Logo

Question Re Buying Boat with T454 crusader

A

A Sultan

"Hello All,
I am thinking abo

"Hello All,
I am thinking about buying a 1986 34' SeaRay with twin 454 Crusders with 1200 hrs. They look well maintained and run well. Any thoughts on what the lifespan will be? I am getting them surveyed, but would appreciate any feedback."

"Well, they're Crusaders--

"Well, they're Crusaders--and that's GOOD news, for they are among the best out there (with Mercruisers on the ohter end of the quality scale). On how long will they last, this is a question without a real answer--too many unknowns--but these days of high gas prices--that 4 or 5 years of running.

Looking at it realistically, this is a 20 year old boat now, and the motors (and other things) will start needing replacement--that's a fact of life (and I know 'cause mine is 21 years old this year). So, if the price it's going for is not ridiculous, and you intend to keep it a while, how can you loose? Besides, 454 long blocks are easily obtained and a bargin.

Good luck, and listen carefully to what that surveyor has to say.

Jeff"

"Jeff, Thanks for the feedback

"Jeff, Thanks for the feedback. The boat has a new generator, What others items should I keep an eye out for? Any good way to determine the lifespan of the AC unit?

Any advice would be much appreciated!"

"None that I know of--AC units

"None that I know of--AC units run forever, or die tomorrow.

Be sure the surveyor makes a list of EVERY mechanical/ electrical device on hte boat, tries it out, and then records if it's working or not. You can expect a few things not to work, but then demand a price reduction to compensate--and be sure to go along on the sea trial! Some people "trust" the surveyor's opinion on how the boat THEY will operate fr years handles. To heck with that!

Jeff"

Back