Logo

1953 Chris Craft 6 Cyl Engine # 63857

C

corariches

"I have a 1953 model KL 6 Cyl

"I have a 1953 model KL 6 Cyl with the transmission and I am trying to get value information.
I inherited this motor from my father who took it out of the original 53 boat, he was going to restore it. Motor and tranny were stored in the shop but the boat burned in a fire. I want to sell this but have no idea what the value is. Any info or advice would be great. Thanks!"

"You best bet is probably to c

"You best bet is probably to check the various classifieds like ours and the online auctions such as ebay.

Much will depend on the condition of the engine and whether it was used in salt water with raw water cooling. The condition of the exhaust manifold will be important too.

You could also call some of the companies that routinely rebuild engines like that. They may want it if it's in good condition to have available for for parts or for a customer. See this link for a search of our directory for "chris". As you scroll down you will see companies that work on chris craft engines.

PS: I have moved this question to the Chris Craft category on the board"

"In round numbers, here's

"In round numbers, here's my guess.

If it's sitting on a pallet, all there and spins, not a rusted mess and able to be rebuilt, then I'd say probably in the $500 range.

If it's as above, spins and runs, then $500 to $1500 depending on whether it's needing a rebuild or if it's in fresh condition.

They're not uncommon, they're not difficult to rebuild, parts are still available, they last forever. Because they last forever, not difficult to rebuild, and parts are available, the cost of one of these is not real high. However, if you find someone who has to have one........? :)

This engine weighs in at 680-pounds. It is heavier than a small block Chevy marine motor which CC introduced in 1958. The initial 282 had 185 hp, which is almost double the 95 hp of the Model K Hercules, for instance.

I recently pulled a Hercules and replaced it with a CC 327 I got from a CC Super Sport. The transformation was a lighter boat that has more power than the hull can actually handle. The old Model K was fun, it would max out at 3200 rpm flat out, with a top speed of around 35-mph.

The V8 conversion does mid 50-mph.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v472/Dogsharks/Boating/56ccandengineonlift.jpg"

Here is a photo of the old motor coming out

Check with your local ACBS chapter (Antique and Classic Boat Society), many of those guys want a spare sitting in the garage.

Regards, Paul"

Back