Logo

Water in trim pump reservoir

doctorrazz

"I have a 3 yr.old 496HO, with

"I have a 3 yr.old 496HO, with a new Bravo XR drive. Over the last few months I have been getting a small amount of water accumulating in the Pump reservoir. I have checked all the connections, the pump runs fine, I have drained it twice and replaced the hydraulic fluid. The boat is only in the water when it is being used. I have checked for oil leaking but can find no leak or loose fittings....Where could the water be getting into the system??

Razz"

Is the oil level rising notice

Is the oil level rising noticeably? If so there is more going on than condensation. If there is no fitting loose it could be a seal on a trim clyinder. See a Merc manual and it will spell out trouble shooting this. There will be a tool to check pressure and isolate circuts in the system that you may have to go to the dealer for help.

"The rise in fluid does take s

"The rise in fluid does take some time, I just notice the red trans fluid becoming pink overtime as it mixes with the water. I did blow up two stock bravo drives until merc finally sprung for an xr drive....I will try to find my Merc Bravo manual but it still is in box somewhere after my move....but I will most likely take your advice and take it to a dealer for pro help but since my move I have not check out the new dealers and I have been had so many times in the past. I think you might be correct that a seal on a trim clyinder might be gone bad.....razz"

"Glen, I have the same issue w

"Glen, I have the same issue with my '88 Alpha I. I always figured it was the trim cylinder seals around the rods. I therefore use 5W-30 motor oil (a bit thicker) and change the oil when it turns milky. Seemed to be a bit cheaper than buying new trim cylinders($450-500). Mine are a bit too old to rebuild."

Back