Logo

1989 Bayliner 30l upgrades

codyg

"I bought a 1989 Bayliner Capr

"I bought a 1989 Bayliner Capri 195 last summer and with a few folks on the boat I did around 30mph. I added Trip tabs and it now does around 28mph. It runs real rough so I was going to have a local machine shop rebuild it or should I look for a different engine? I looked on Ebay and some other sites and the engines I saw were NOT cheap, are car engines even an option for me? Any help would be great..I have searched many sites but cant get a solid answer to what I need.

What should I do..rebuild or replace? If replace..what size/price should I expect and can I put a V6/8 auto engine in? Thanks for the help its MUCH appriciated!"

"My 1995 Capri with that engin

"My 1995 Capri with that engine did 45 mph with two adults aboard, so your motor is definitely sick. Suggest you pull and tear the motor down to findout what's wrong. Long blocks are readily availble for that motor, and going to a V-6 will mean a bunch of new parts:manifolds, diffferent outdrive gearing, etc.

Jeff

PS: Car parts are not an option. That engine has been out of automotive use for decades, and the auto engines were very different."

"It seems to Me that a Full,&#

"It seems to Me that a Full,+ Complete Tune Up,+ Compression/ Leak-down Tests would be in order,.....

Just to See What Exactly the Issue,..... Might Be............"

Back