Logo

Tohatsu 1996 50

P

Pat Legros

Hey guys how are yall. Guys i

Hey guys how are yall. Guys i am having a problem with my motor. It all started after i converted from having an oil pump injection to taking the oil pump out and directly putting oil into the gas. I did this due to the fact that if my safety system did not work and tell me that my oil pump was going out are is out that i would not burn up my engine. Now the problem that persist is at a certian speed i am estimating 3/4 to full throttle open i am getting a horn that shuts my engine down it does not kill it completly but runs like hell. After i back off and wait for a few minutes it clears up and as long as i am half throttle runs great but cant go any furthur are it will in turn trip the horn and do the same again. Obviuosly when i made this change i didnt correctly finish and complete all that needed to be done. I sure would appreciate some advise on this issue. Thankyou Pat Legros

"I have a 1993 50D Tohatsu 3 c

"I have a 1993 50D Tohatsu 3 cylinder 2 cycle Oil Injected model. The Clymer 1992-2000 manual has information about the Engine Speed Limiting System that lowers engine speed and sounds an alarm for problems like low oil, overheating or excessive engine speed. If the overheat sensor, water pressure sensor, or oil level sensor detects a problem the CDI Unit limits the engine speed. Different models have different sensor setups. My model does not have water pressure sensor.
The CDI unit has a wire Clymer says is black/yellow but my engine had a different colors. This wire is short with a pull apart connector that comes out of and goes back into the CDI unit. If you pull apart the connector to open the connection it will disable all the engine safety functions and you can test if the engine will run over half speed for a short time. If the engine runs OK it is a sensor problem or a bigger problem the sensor is detecting. Your problem may be with the oil level sensor. You may have to disconnect the sensor wire at the CD unit."

Back