Logo

Grinding when starting

flhomesite

"Hello,

I have 496 mags. I

"Hello,

I have 496 mags. I decided to clean the bilge and got the motors wet. Now when I start one of the engines it makes a grinding noise and does not seam to turn over. If I keep trying it finally turns over and runs fine. After warming, the engine starts fine without the grinding. The grinding seams to be getting worse when the engine is cold and the engine will not start now. Any idea on what is going on and how do I fix it?"

"How wet are we talking? Any c

"How wet are we talking? Any chance you got water in the oil pan (through the breather caps)? Drain some oil off the bottom and make sure. That's probably not the source of your trouble, but if that condition existed and left as is, could cause you more significant problems down the road.
I would bet the grinding noise is the starter. Are you sure it's a "marine service" starter? If not, along with being dangerous, it would be much less resiliant to a wet environment.
Even if it is a marine starter, it may have just died coincident with your bilge washing.
A little more info would be helpful to help narrow it down and eliminate other possibilites.
- does it do anything, like click?
- is the battery charged?
- are you sure it's getting +12vdc at the starter?
- can you roll the engine over by hand?"

"Back to basics, load test the

"Back to basics, load test the battery, clean and check connections at the battery and starter. Other than that there is a slave solinoid in the system that can be checked for bad connections and function. Check the ground at the block as well. If its non of these basics, look at having the starter tested at a NAPA or Alt/Starter shop."

"Any chance you may have soake

"Any chance you may have soaked the starter and rusty'd up the little guy? Pull the starter and check that the shaft the gear comes out on is clean, (not rusty) and lubed, and bench check it while its out. See whats happening.

Hope this helps some,

Scott"

Back