Logo

Electronic ignition

planeguy

"Hi, I have a 1986 Silverton

"Hi, I have a 1986 Silverton with 1985 Crusader 270's in it. The engines have under 700 hours and I am considering converting them to electronic ignition to get away from points. Any pros or cons? Recommedations of parts to use?"

Haven't done this on an in

Haven't done this on an inboard (only outboards) but those that have say it's easy to do and works great.

Jeff

If your distributors are in go

If your distributors are in good condition drop in the Pertronix Electronic Ignition modules. They work great. At the same time you can put on higher voltage coils. Did this on my Crusaders and it works great. Very easy to do also.

"This is the site that I order

"This is the site that I ordered the unit for my engine. You can find the Pertronix unti at many web sites. This one however did provide the best price I could find, the service was good and it has a marine section. The acutal unit is the ignitor. They do have an Ignitor II that also controls the dwell. However, in my opinion the original ignitor works just fine.

www.vintageperformance.com/retrorockets"

Changed my 1986 Silverton with

Changed my 1986 Silverton with 1985 Crusaders over to electronic ignition and it sure made a big difference in idling and fuel consumption. Idles much better and fuel flows dropped about 1 gph each engine.

Back