Logo

Mercruiser V8 57ltr Chev Petrol 260HP

osman

"Hi Everyone,

I am in proce

"Hi Everyone,

I am in process of buying a boat with Mercruiser 1990 model V8 5.7ltr Chev Petrol 260HP inboard engine. Can anyone please tell me what is the fuel consumption on this monster? The guy I am buying it from sais 30 liters an hour.Would that be correct? What rpm should is the cruising speed for this engine? Any help will be appreciated as I know bugger all about engines.

Thx..."

"Hi Osman,

I have two in my

"Hi Osman,

I have two in my older (heavier) Bayliner 32ft. Combined they tend to run at 60-70 LPH at 3100 RPM giving around 13-15KTS. If I push the engines up to 3450 RPM they use around 95-110 LPH to achieve 18-21KTS. I have the standard (I guess)quad throat carbs with two running all the time and two being vacuumed in after about 3200RPM hence the steep increase in consumption.

Hope this helps,

Brad"

Hi Brad Thx for that. The boat

Hi Brad Thx for that. The boat I am buying is haines Hunter 635 L 22 foot long. I suppose boat being smaller than your s should use less petrol is that correct?
Also what do you think about realibility of these engines considering its been reconditioned? Basically what I want to know is am I buying a very expensive to run trouble?

Mate anything else you can tell me will be great help...

Thx again...

"Hi Osman,

I have been reas

"Hi Osman,

I have been reasonably happy with the engines. Yours being a newer lighter boat should find it very spritely and fun. Mine is a heavy old thick fibreglass Bayliner cruiser (must weigh about 10 tons!!!!). One of my engines is about 12 years old but downspec'd to match the older one and the other is 23 but they both seem to be about the same in power. rated at 260 bhp. Yours should use much less fuel as the load will be less, but beware the full open 4 throat carb at current fuel prices :)

The only issues I have had are the V-Belts (alternator, fresh water and raw salt water pump belts etc) have fallen off too regularly for my liking which is annoying. The serpentine belts in later models are better which is what yours might be (not sure about 1990 model) ..ie single belt rather than 2 belts. Also, the points in mone are are mallory and wear quickly making it need adjusting every 5-6 months. I am putting in breakerless points to get past this silly but small problem which is a cheap fix. Also am investigating serpentine belt upgrade from v belts, probably from a chev wrecker etc.

all the best with your new toy,

Brad"

"Thx Brad,you ve been a great

"Thx Brad,you ve been a great help.
I did decide to buy the boat after speaking to you,here is a picture for you...

Thx mate.. have a great new year....
14186.jpg
"

"Hi Osman,

Nice Boat... Hav

"Hi Osman,

Nice Boat... Have Fun out there.

Brad"

Back