Logo

Oil pressure on 43 Volvos

dave_a

"Yesterday I did the oil chang

"Yesterday I did the oil changes on my Volvo 4.3. From start to finish it turned into a full day project. Please don’t ask how is that possible…..The boat is the winner!!!! Anyway, I was not able to get Volvo oil filters anywhere in my area. I resorted to the Quicksilver brand which the previous owner of the boat used before. In the past years that I owned the boat I have always used Volvo parts whenever possible. Here is the dilemma. The oil filters that I ended up using have a shorter canister then the Volvo filters. I purchased these from a Mercrusier dealer and he told me that the old part number was replaced with this shorter more efficient filter. I have noticed that my oil pressure at a idle is running around 38-42 psi and and at 4000 RPM it is around 79-83psi. Will this damage the engines?????????"

Oil pressure is what keeps par

Oil pressure is what keeps parts from touching each other.Low oil pressure will damage an engine!

The pressure will run higher w

The pressure will run higher when cold than when the engine is warmed up. By your descrption sounds like your presure gage is out of calibration. Quicksilver should be as good as the Volvo and in any case it would not account for what you are describing.

"Did you wait at least 30 minu

"Did you wait at least 30 minutes for the oil to fully warm up, or did you simply blast the throttle and take an oil pressure reading? (Not good if you did.)

Any quality oil filter will do a good job, and one that's a trifle shorter is no exception. I use NAPA (Wix brand) filters on all my vehicles since they rated high in a comparison test.

Jeff"

"Thanks for all your ideas. Th

"Thanks for all your ideas. The problem was in fact the filters. With Volvo canisters on both engines the pressure dropped back down to normal spec's. After speaking with a close friend and rep for Volvo Marine Engineering, it seems that the new QuickSilver Filters have some restriction of flow causing the new engines to increase pressure and damage sending units. This would cause false reading of the gages and if you try to get codes from the data port it will show false codes. Prolong use of this filter and several others like Fram,Autolite and Napa will cause computer damage and worst of all engine damage. I intend to post the info from Volvo upon receiving it over the weekend. The filters mentioned are all quality filters and I would continue to use any of them. I run a high performance engine in a street toy of mine and use nothing but Fram. As we all know Volvo has done some unique things with engines. Being a 4.3 Chevy block you would think it’s a Chevy . Think again it’s a VOLVO after they got done with it.
Again Thanks
Dave"

Back