Logo

Volvo aq145a

gryg1

Regular Contributor
I have the above engine.

Ra

I have the above engine.

Radiator water coming out of cap.checked cap and it say 7kpa.put a 15 kpa cap on and fixed problem.my question is.is the radiator cap to big for the cooling system or do I have a problem with the old one.someone told me that if I have a larger one one it will put to much pressure on the cooling system and will have problems with the rest of the seals.it this the fact.should I be running a 7 KPA cap.does antbody know the right cap that I shoukd use.

Question 2:Ive have heard that volvo car engines are the same parts.I need a starter motor anybody know what model volvo car I should be looking at to find this and also an alternator.

Any help will be appreciated.

"I'm not sure about the ra

"I'm not sure about the radiator cap, maybe someone else can help with that.

You should not use an automotive starter. There are numerous postings on this board about the use of automotive parts in marine applications. You can do a search of the board using the link at the top.

You will find postings such as this post."

"Did you try a new 7 cap, or d

"Did you try a new 7 cap, or did you go right to the 15? Your original cap could merely have a weak spring or a compromised seal and a new 7 could correct your problem. Too much pressure is a sign of too much heat. How is your operating temp? I don't know what pressure Volvo prefers, but 7psi is adequate for domestic engines. And yes, 15 psi does put much more stress on seals and hoses. I would start with a trip to the local Volvo dealer. Order a new cap by part # and see what happens. Then go from there."

The man is talking 7kpa which

The man is talking 7kpa which is equivalent to 1 PSI. Visit a dealer and use the correct cap.

put a new 7 psi radiator cap o

put a new 7 psi radiator cap on and it does not appear to leak the water anymore.I thought this might be the problem but was seeking info from someone who may have had the info or tech advise on what radiator cap should be fitted.7 PSI or 10 PSI.no one seems to know.anyone out there with a spec book?

Dores any body know what volvo

Dores any body know what volvo car engine parts are compatable with a AQ145A marine engine.looking to replace my starter motor.

"[b]Do not use an automotive s

"Do not use an automotive starter! Refer fo Andrews original reply to your post. Electrical components used on marine engines are spark supressed. This means they do not expose any electrical contacts, therefore there is no spark exposed in your bilge which could, under the right conditions, cause an explosion. These components include: starter motors, alternators, distributors, voltage regulators, circuit protection, etc. Automotive conponents do not offer this protection and therefore their use in your boat may result in an explosion which could injure or kill you or one of your children. This is the reason marine components cost more.

If you don't wish to pay Volvo's price for a new starter, consider a remanufactured marine starter. Sierra offers the replacment for your engine. There are two available. Take your Volvo S/N to your local marine retailer and he will get the correct starter for you. You may find one on E-Bay, but you're taking a chance of getting the wrong one.

Most boat related deaths are caused by the most innocent mistakes. Don't make this one!

Regards,
Rick"

"Hell-O Stan. Please listen to

"Hell-O Stan. Please listen to the above guys. Automotive electrics are not " spark arrested" and boat will go BOOM! Cause the are enclosed to keep the water out. I have seen the deck blown right of the hull. I have seen the boats burnt to the water line. Serious injury and or death can and have happened. We always get about 5 a year in these parts of the world, and the cause is the electrics and short cuts in time labour and correct parts used. The Starter is a Robert Bosch and the alternator is a SEV Marchall which has been prolly changed to a Valeo or Paris Rhone. They ar UL marine listed. Take your original units in for repair, or buy aproved new ones. Much cheaper that a few caskets and funeral expenses."

Advise taken on board re the e

Advise taken on board re the electrical side of volvo parts.what about the fuel pump .can i get a fuel pump that comes of a standart volvo automotive engine.What model of volvo car engine is inter changable.does any body know.

NO! The marine fuel pumps inc

NO! The marine fuel pumps incorporate a fuel recovery line which returns stray fuel to the carb in the case of a ruptured pump diaphram. The automotive pump does not do this.

my fuel pump does not have a r

my fuel pump does not have a recovery line that returns fuel to the carby.it just has a line from the tank to fuel pump and the other line goes to the carbys.

"Stan:

The engines in my ol

"Stan:

The engines in my old, 1985 boat also had only those two lines, but I changed them to a three line setup for safety. You should too.

Jeff"

"Volvo AQ-145, 1982 Bayliner.

"Volvo AQ-145, 1982 Bayliner. When replacing the timing belt, I noticed the intermediate shaft is about 60 degrees out. Other than driving the distributor, what does this shaft accomplish? I was going to remove the distributor, realign the shaft and replace the distributor, but the distributor is frozen in place. Engine runs pretty good, but is a little rough"

Back