Logo

Volvo Aq130 distributor

neilmw

"Currently going through a pro

"Currently going through a process of elimination trying to find the cause of my bogging, I have checked timing/dwell/points etc, however i have heard of people stripping down the distributer, is there anything that could be wrong with the distributer that allows the engine to run fine in neutral but could cause it bog at around 3200rpm under way?? just trying to make sure i cover all the bases."

"You bet! A lack of spark adva

"You bet! A lack of spark advance. You can find out by putting a light on it and reving the motor. If the mark does not advance, there's your problem. The advance mechanism, like anything else in a marine environment, can get rusty and stick.

Jeff"

"Neil-

If it is a mechanica

"Neil-

If it is a mechanical advance distributor, it will have weights and springs under the points and condensor. As Jeff says, these can get stuck and inhibit your timing advance as you increase throttle. These should be clean and free to move. Usually not that difficult and you may not need to replace the distributor just yet.

I would also make sure your fuel and filters are also clean and water free. There is usually a filter screen in the carburetor at the end of the fuel line that can cause problems if clogged. Good luck."

"Yes i took the dist' off

"Yes i took the dist' off and the springs and weights were all siezed solid, i do remember that when i bought the boat the dist' cap was missing so it was exposed to the elements for some time. Any way have now cleaned them all up and they are working freely. Just need to put it all back together and cross my fingers that this was the problem......"

GGRRR took the boat out for a

GGRRR took the boat out for a test and there was no difference at all. Cant understand it because those weights were stuck solid when i opened it up and now they are moving freely........I am stumped

"Are you sure the advance is a

"Are you sure the advance is actually advancing? I mean, did you check its movement with a timing light?

Jeff"

"No, will check it with a ligh

"No, will check it with a light this week, what would stop it advancing other than the weights?"

"Oh God! You had to ask that!

"Oh God! You had to ask that! How about if the weights/ cams/ etc were installed backwards?

I, ah. did that on a Caddy V-8 powered Fiero that started right up, ran great, yet barely made enough power to make it out of the driveway. The homemade distributor was RETARDING (like the mechanic!) as the motor reved up. Sheesh!

Jeff"

"Checked with strobe today and

"Checked with strobe today and the ignition is advancing so the problem i think must be fuel related, although i have had the carbs off and stripped down and did not rebuild them with new jets.....wonder if its worth doing?"

"Be sure you're getting lo

"Be sure you're getting lots of fuel first, both in pressure and flow. You'll need a pressure gage to find out.

Jeff"

hate to be know all have you c

hate to be know all have you checked the prop?

Back