Logo

Volvo tamd41a Oil around crank case filter

D

David Anderson

is there a way to capture the

is there a way to capture the oil that blows by the filter?I an new to diesel boats.

"no,is this a new engine? if s

"no,is this a new engine? if so mit need to get some load on it to seat the rings. crankcase mit be over full, if so engine chould be kicking out oil."

OK ENGINE MIT STILL BE OVER FU

OK ENGINE MIT STILL BE OVER FULL ON OIL OR OIL MAY BE DELUDED. OTHER THING IS POSSABLE CYL WERE.

"Hi Marv,I am going on vaca fo

"Hi Marv,I am going on vaca for the holidays, I will check what you recommend when I get back.Thanks so much for your help and have a great holiday season........."

"I am Back.Well Marv I changed

"I am Back.Well Marv I changed the oil/it seemed to be ok,it didn't have a strong diesel smell,it wasn't thin,I checked the stick, it was half way up between the lines on the stick seemed good.I did notice on the air filter oily spot that is next to the crank case filter.....I understand these engines were truck engines and thay mite not have taken into consideration the tilt of the engine on plain an all the oil runs aft to create pressure an blow by.If I take an old filter and drill a 1/2" hole ,fit with brass gromit on the top of filter and run it to the middle of the air filter and do the same on the cover and insert in 1/2" or so may be that would take care of it .What do you think???"

"sounds like it mit work,just

"sounds like it mit work,just be sure to have a small vent hole to releve pressure.oil capacity for engine is 11 qts."

"David. I have the same proble

"David. I have the same problem with my staboard engine. It appears the the oil is leaking from the base of the base of the crankcase filter (were it is crimped to the base) and not the relief, thus not caused by crankcase pressure. I am looking at sealing the base of the crankcase filter. I will let you know how I get on."

"I wouldn't plumb the cran

"I wouldn't plumb the crankcase filter to the air filter, you will oil the core of your aftercooler causing it to be restricted and your turbo would not be able to provide all the boost it should. Racor manufactures a remote crankcase filter that you should be able to adapt."

Back