270 VOLVO OUTDRIVE WITH A FORD

ayoung9072

"HELLO MY NAME IS ART.

I H

"HELLO MY NAME IS ART.

I HAVE A 1976 GASTRON
V204 WITH A 270 VOLVO OUTDRIVE WITH A FORD
302 MOTOR.

I HAVE A VIBRATION PROBLEM OFF IDLE AND ON TURNS. I REMOVED THE UPPER STERN DRIVE GEAR HOUSING AND INSPECED THE U-JOINTS. THE U JOINTS STILL LOOKED NEW. I REGREASED THE U JOINTS AND REINSTALLED.

I STARTED THE MOTOR AND THE VIBRATION IS STILL PRESENT.

I READ OTHER MESSEGE BOARDS AN HEARD TALK ABOUT A GIMBAL BEARING. DO MY OUT DRIVE HAVE ONE OF THESE BEARINGS? I'VE OWNED THIS BOAT FOR FIVE YEARS. EVERY SINCE I GOT IT ITS HAD THIS VIBRATION, BUT I JUST LIVED WITH IT (NOT GOING TO FARE FROM THE LAUNCH RAMP).

THIS LAST FISHING TRIP THE VIBRATION SEEMED TO GET WERSE. I'M REAL CONCERNED AND DON'T WANT TO MISS ANY FISHING TIME (HAVE MY BOAT DOWN). PLEASE HELP ME."

"Art,There is no "gimbel&#

"Art,There is no "gimbel" bearing on 270 drive assy. There is a housing between rear of engine and upper gear head. This housing contains a shaft and bearings that could be going bad. Unfortunatly engine has to be removed to get to this housing."

"i have a 270 volvo leg with a

"i have a 270 volvo leg with a nissan 33d the engine has been removed as the bearings are gone in the transom shield, on the shaft between the back of the engine and the leg. how do i remove the bearings and seals, and do i also need to take the leg from the back of the boat as well. also does the shaft come out from inside the boat or outside., many thanks warren"

"Change the cross kits any way

"Change the cross kits any way. They are Plymouth 1976. Make sure the grease nipple of the cross is in the V of the cross and at an angle. Some jobber cross kits grease nipples are at the wrong angle and will tear up your expensive bellow when you turn from hard port to starboard. The Yoke that holds the drive to the transom (ie alowss the leg to tilt up and down has 2 SS pins that are held in with allen screws. There are black nylon bushings that go between the ss pins and alum yoke. Relace them. You may be able to feel the play when you try to rock the drive left to right Also the intermediate shaft in the turtle neck of the end of the engine bell housing may need new bearings. That is the bell housing to the drive from the back of the engine. This unit had 2 bearings and 2 seals and C-clips. The bearings, 2 of, one at each end of the shaft of the intermediate housing worn. You have to move the engine foreward, & remove the intermediate housing from the engine bell housing. Remember this intermediate housing goes from the engine thu the transom to the drove. You also have to remove the drive abd remove the 6 bolts on the outside of the transom, and you will not a big o ring behind that ring circle the bolts go trhy, good time to replace them also. You do not want the intermediate shaft to let go and break that red intermediate housing. Very costly. Re & re the bearings seals and check the shaft for tru. All this is prolly due any way. If you have never done this, take it to a Volvo Penta guy."

Back