Logo

PCM 302 or 351

jan

I recently purchased a restore

I recently purchased a restored 1972 Donzi 16. It has a PCM crate motor supposedly replaced in 1990 or so. I cant determine if it is a 302 or 351.

I have the PCM serial number which is 500156. Is there a way I can determine the year and type of motor.

Thanks
Jan

"Jan,

In order to detirmine

"Jan,

In order to detirmine the engine displacement for 1998 and earlier engines, you will need to use the model number, not the serial number. The model number should be on the same nameplate with the serial number.

The model number will be something like:

<center>PXLDWVR20</center>

The fourth letter will designate the engine type:

• A = 302cid - 155hp
  • B = 302cid - 185hp
  • C = 302cid - 215hp
  • D = 351cid - 255hp
  • E = 302cid - 165hp
  • ...etc

I don't have an index to tell you the year by the serial number, maybe someone else here does.

Regards,
Andrew"

"If you can't find any ser

"If you can't find any serial numbers, you can tell a 302 from a 351 by its higher block height. Measure the distance between the heads and compare to a "known" Ford mill. It's pretty obvious.

Jeff"

Another way to tell is to pull

Another way to tell is to pull the distributor. The 351 shaft and oil pump rod is much heavier than the 302. I can measure both if you like or you can bring yours to a dealer and compare the shafts to a new one.

".."The 351 shaft and oil

".."The 351 shaft and oil pump rod is much heavier than the 302"

Good thing, too. I watched a buddy of mine try to crank up his 302 Mustang, only to have it backfire like crazy. On a hunch I pulled the dist. cap and had him wheel her over.

Guess what!

Jeff"

I was curious so last night I

I was curious so last night I examined a 351 distributor and a 302 distributor. The 351 distributer pump rod hole is a 5/16 allen size. Yes you can fit the 5/16 allen wrench in the 351 distributor but not the 302.

I have a 1992 Supra Sport with

I have a 1992 Supra Sport with a pleasure craft marine engine model # pld-pr-L10 how do i know if this is a 302 or a 351? please help

Back