Logo

Century Sabre fireball 225

cal

Regular Contributor
"Just purchased a 1963 Century

"Just purchased a 1963 Century Sabre from eBay and it has a Graymarine fireball 225 engine. I understand this is a 327 cid, is it a GM product? Is it like the 327 Chevy? Are parts available? The engine hasn't been run for several years but was in good condition during its' last use. Any help/advise would be appreciated.
Thanks"

The year is about right for it

The year is about right for it to be a Chevy. Can you send us a photo?

Jeff

"Cal,

There is a V8-255 and

"Cal,

There is a V8-255 and a V8C-255. The V8C-255 is flywheel forward.
  • 327cid
  • Weight direct: 900 lbs
  • Weight w/ red. gear: 950 lbs
  • 9.5:1 compression ratio
  • 255hp at 4400rpm
We offer manuals for the Fireball V8s.

For parts you could try Duby Marine in NY at 716-694-0922."

Thank you all for the info. I

Thank you all for the info. I think it is the AMC engine. I will order manuals for the motor and also for the velvet drive.
Cal

"Took the doghouse off. The mo

"Took the doghouse off. The motor is a V8C, 225hp. The flywheel is in front. The hour meter says 399. The motor/boat has been laid up for quite a few years but the previous owner said it ran good before the layup. Never pulled the dipstick yet. This boat will be a labor of love.
Cal
Cal"

Sounds like a great project. K

Sounds like a great project. Keep us posted on your progress.

Do you have a photo or a link to the ebay photos?

"Cal:

From what I've re

"Cal:

From what I've read, damage to non-hardened seats was greatly exaggerated. Installing seats would be horrendously expensive, so if you're worried, see if you can find some lead additive stuff and dump it in.

Jeff

PS: Love that engine of yours!"

"No problem with the additive.

"No problem with the additive. I talked with a couple mechs and there was a split decision on the seats. Also got the name of a local speed shop that they all recomeded for the valve job, all computer equip.
I'll be pulling the heads while the engine is still in the boat. Have to take some of the weight off so I don't stress my overhead too much. I'm only working with an 8' ceiling so I'll be putting slings under the engine vs the lifting eyes to get the clearance I need for the chainfall.
Again thanks for the tip.
Gheeesh I love this.
Cal"

"Good for you, Cal! (Grea

"Good for you, Cal! (Great attitude.) Please send us more photos as you get that jewel apart.

Jeff"

"Pulled the heads today,just a

"Pulled the heads today,just as I suspected from the compression readings, rusty valves in five of the eight. Lots of carbon buildup on the cylinders also, the walls look good. Glad I soaked them with oil before turning it over several weeks ago. There was one bent pushrod on the exhaust side of No 8, looking at the condition of the valve I would say it was that way for quite awhile. Other than those issues things look fairly good overall. It'll be awhile before I get the valves ground so don't hold your breath on that part. I will continue to do the prelims for pulling the engine now that a few hundred pounds are removed.
<center>
14269.jpg
heads off"">
14270.jpg
port cylinders"">
14271.jpg
port and starboard heads"">
14272.jpg
port side rusty valves""></center>"

"Is it possible to straighten

"Is it possible to straighten the bent rod? This is a solid rod, no oil passage. The picture makes the rod look rusty but it is not. Can the shop that does the valve job straighten the rod?
Thanks.
Cal
14301.jpg
bent pushrod

Ok on the toss out. I see on t

Ok on the toss out. I see on the old marine engine discussion board that someone else is interested in the workings of a 225C engine. I will take the address down for parts.
Cal

"I recently purchased an old L

"I recently purchased an old Lyman with twin gray marine 220'S engines in it, I also purchased the owners manual for the engines and a service manual from Duby Marine. They are very helpfull. They also tell you Gray Marine was a division of Continental Engines, after some research I also found that Continental used AMC blocks. I will be rebuilding one engine this winter, I have found one sight that sells complete rebuild kits for AMC blocks, but I still need to verify that the marine version is the same as an automotive version. Here is the link to this engine rebuild kit site
http://www.kanter.com/ I hope this is some help"

"Thank you for the information

"Thank you for the information. I have a complete graymarine fireball v-8 service parts list. This book contains every part number for every fireball v-8 that was produced by Graymarine. (thank you Andrew) I have found the pushrods I need and thanks to the manual the 225's are slightly different than the other 5 fireball
v-8's. I could have wound up getting the wrong ones and wondering why the engine just couldn't be tuned right. Yes it is an AMC block, whether the marine version is different is always a debate.
If you run into any problems let me know and I will do the same. I do not intend a complete tear-down but just a complete cleaning, ie flushing out the oil galleys, pulling the pans, and washing all the internals. There is a considerable buildup of oil deposits on the valvetrain, rods etc so I suspect the crank and oil pump are no better. I will be ordering new gaskets for the exhaust, intake manifolds, probably a rebuild of the carbs, waterpump, alternator, and a checkup of the voltage reg. Starter is good. I will put in a whole new wiringharness because it has been my experiance working on marine engines (IOs)that no matter how good the wire looks on the outside they always seem to rot somewhere along the line where the insulation has been compromised or cracked.
Cal"

"Pulled the engine. Tight quar

"Pulled the engine. Tight quarters as you can see. This is the first engine I have ever seen with a cast iron oil pan.
Now it will stay on the cart until I have time to flush it and clean it up.
14459.jpg
Hanging engine"">
14460.jpg
Cast iron oil pan"">
14461.jpg
Engine on cart"">
14462.jpg
1000 lbs lighter

"I have a gray marine fireball

"I have a gray marine fireball model six-150 with engine number D5743 out of a Century Seamaid. Anyone know when built? are replacement parts available? How do I decide-should it be -put back together, rebuilt, or remanufactured ? Suggestions on best manuals to buy ? Thanks."

"George, It's been awhile

"George, It's been awhile since I did anything with my engine that's why the posting has slowed. I've been doing more work on the hull.
To answer your questions I would suggest you start a new thread on this forum and ask away. The two persons who will give you honest answers are "fastjeff" and Andrew the wizard of this forum. I purchased the tech/service manuals right on line here through the Marinengine store and they are wonderfully helpfull. Yes most parts can be purchased online. Just put in a search (google or someother) and type in your graymarine model six-150. Something will show up.
Hope this helps. Good luck on your project.
Cal"

"George and Cal,

First, Geo

"George and Cal,

First, George your engine was built in either 1946 through 1949.

Second, Cal I have some parts for Graymarine V8's. If you post a list I might be able to help you with some of the parts.

I don't get on the internet every day but I do look from time to time.
Hector"

"Hector. Been a long time sinc

"Hector. Been a long time since I've visited this msg but good to hear from you. I do need a pushrod for this engine. If you could help me out it would be appreciated.
Cal - [email protected]"

"Cal, I have the exact same en

"Cal, I have the exact same engine in a 1963 17' Century Resorter I just bought. I am hoping to drop it in the water this weekend after 2 months of quick fixes. If it rides to my liking I plan to restore the entire boat. I am concered about the carb being a fire hazard, have you heard anything about this?"

"I have heard that there was a

"I have heard that there was a problem with fuel leaking on this design of carbs. I suspect that it is either from a bad float needle valve or dried gaskets on the bowl. I understand that there is a fix that sets the carb setup on an "even with the ride" rather than even with the engine. This would lead me to believe that the fuel would leak from the aft carb only. There is a Yahoo chat room that deals only with Century boats that you might be interested in http://groups.yahoo.com/group/centurywoodenboats/
A good group of people who are Century owners and share all their experiences and helpful info. There might be a better answer to your hazard question there. You have to join the group but it is well worth it.
I am doing just the opposite of you since I never got the engine running due to the rusted valves as you can see in the pics. This winter I plan to have the heads/valves reground by a local machine shop. I was assured by the previous owner that the engine did run good.(wink wink riiiigghhht) Even though one of the valve stems was bent pretty good. I also purchased the service manual for this engine from this website and it is the heads up winner for what you would want to know.
Right now I am in the process of replanking the bottom after replacing seven bottom frames and the entire transom/frame with new white oak and African mahogany. Hopefully I will get the boat reflipped before winter sets in here in the frozen tundra (Green Bay.Wi) so I can get the engine in and start the fun stuff next spring.
Good luck on your project and I hope the ride is to your satisfaction. Let me know. I still havn't gotten my valve stem though but there are lots of places to get the parts thanks to the Yahoo chat room.
Cal"

I have a 1965 Tollycraft with

I have a 1965 Tollycraft with a 225 fireball I'll download some pics and tell how this goes

"Been awhile since I posted on

"Been awhile since I posted on the engine progress. The summer was taken up with hull restoration. I just took the heads of the Fireball 225 to a local speed shop to have them cleaned up and ground. The guy said they will put them in the "oven" whatever that is then they will be magnafluxed, inspected, planed, and then will let me know if there is any serious damage. He said they are probably in good condition since there are less than 400 hours on the original engine. He said these engines die mostly from neglect rather than abuse. Improper storage etc. He will also make a new pushrod to replace the one that is bent, not a problem...he builds racing engines as a business so I feel pretty safe with him. I will start posting pics again of my teardown, cleanup and inspection of the block.
Cal"

"Good news, bad news on the he

"Good news, bad news on the heads/valves. The heads came through the oven and magnaflux with flying colors. The valves were in bad shape, some were bent, and others pitted from the rust that accumlated over the years of sitting with wide open exhaust pipes
thumbs_down.gif
. Word to the wise, if you put your baby away for the cold weather oil 'er up and plug the pipes. New valves...intake, $6 each. Exhaust $8 each. Still for less than $500 I will have two brand new heads.
thumbs_up.gif
"

"Here are pics of the heads fr

"Here are pics of the heads from the Fireball 225C after they came back from the speedshop. New valves et al. The pushrods come in a box of four so now I have three extra ($2.00 each) Total cost for new heads, valves, planning, rods complete. $464.40. They are now soaked with clean oil and on the shelf waiting while the rest of the block gets a going over.
33045.jpg
heads 1 and 2

"Pics of the oil and transmiss

"Pics of the oil and transmission coolers on the engine and after cleaning and repair. Also the fuel pump tested and cleaned. I am going to leave the coolers and fuel pump in their original colors with a coat of gloss laquer rather than the red paint. Makes it look cleaner and easier on the eye.
39914.jpg
oil cooler on engine"">
39915.jpg
Xmission cooler on engine"">
39916.jpg
Oil cooler being repaired and reconditioned"">
39917.jpg
Coolers and fuel pump ready for install

"Working on cleaning up the ex

"Working on cleaning up the external parts. So far the oil and transmission coolers are completed. The starter motor, alternator, volt reg, coil, water pump and fittings are finished. I'm now starteing to clean up the rocker arms. When that is finished I will drop the pan and see what lurks beneath.
crazy.gif

46790.jpg
Bare bones"">
46791.jpg
Cleaned parts

Back