Logo

30 oil all over the top of the engine

fcorunner

"hi, I live in Ecuador, I'

"hi, I live in Ecuador, I'm the owner of 1750 bayliner 3.0, I use my bote at the lakes closer to my town called Quito, this lakes are around the 2800 meters over the sea leavel.
this weekend I see that there was some oil on the top of my engine, it seems to go out from that tube (top of the engine ) that is close to the carburator...
the amount of oil is not more than some drops over the tubes and cables around... is this normal..??? what can it be...???

I'll apreciate your comments...

Francisco Herrera
Quito Ecuador.."

"Does 'that tube' come

"Does 'that tube' come from the valve cover? If so, the tube is a crankcase vent tube. It should be directed into the air cleaner so the air flow into the engine pulls the oil vapor from the tube and burns it in the engine instead of making a mess on top of the engine. Another symptom of this is excessive oil leakage at either or both the front and rear main seals.
I drilled a hole in the top of the flame arrestor/air cleaner and put a plastic elbow in there and repalced the corrugated tube with a smooth hose. No more mess, no more main seal leakage. Keep in mind, if you do this, you are at some risk. A backfire through the carburator now has a direct shot to the crankcase. A PCV valve in the line would be prudent."

"Troy,

thanks for your advi

"Troy,

thanks for your advice, that is the tube and is making a mess after I use my bote, I'm new in this hobby, the last owner of the bote told me that the engine is completely overhaul (Bayliner 1750 LS / 95), after that he run 20 hours (now 52 hours), I spoke with the mechanic today and he told me that the oil vapors will be present until the break-in engine period ends (approximately 20 more hours)…is this correct for an overhaul engine..??

by the way let me tell you how happy am I with my boat…is running great at this altitude ( 7840 Ft. / 2800Mt. ) I advance the time …. using a 19’ propeller is giving 37 with two adults a child and full gas ….

Since I bought the boat I was reading all your comments about mercruiser and bayliner …the Forum is really helpfully for beginners like me…

Thanks

Francisco
Quito Ecuador
South America"

"Congratulations on your Engli

"Congratulations on your English, Francisco. It's better than some Americans who post here (and should be ashamed of themselves).

Suggest you make sure the positive crankcase ventilation valve (PCV valve) is hooked up and operating properly. This valve is hooked to a suction hose from the carb to pull moisture out of the engine. (Important in boats.) If that system is not operating properly, you will always see those oil droplets.

Jeff

PS: Enjoy tour summer time. It snowed several inches here in Pennsylvania last night!"

"Jeff,
You folks in PA didn&#

"Jeff,
You folks in PA didn't do a very good job sucking all the snow out of this nor'easter. We're supposed to get upwards of a foot here on the Maine caost."

"Troy /Jeff

thanks for your

"Troy /Jeff

thanks for your comments, I´m going to put special attention to your recomendations, I´ll post the end of this story in the next weeks."

Back