Logo

496 Drain System Problem Drain Wonbt Close

K

Korey Thurber

"I used the "Single Point

"I used the "Single Point Drain System" to drain the water from my 2005 496 mag one evening when the temperature was going to dip into the 20's. After the water drained I closed the system by pulling on the "manual release valve". The green indictors retracted and all appeared to be fine.

However, when I started the motor the next day I noticed water dripping from the Starboard drain. I got a small mirror and a flashlight and could see that the drain was not closing all the way. I pressurized and released several times but it still would not close. Also, there doesn't appear to be anything obstructing the drain from fully closing.

Any thoughts on how to remedy? Thanks!

Korey"

Remove the system and install

Remove the system and install pipe plugs. Mercruiser should have spent less time figuring out how to get the water out of the manifolds and more time figuring out how to keep water out of the cylinders!

But that's just my opinion.

Rick

"Right on, Rich! Mercruiser en

"Right on, Rich! Mercruiser engines are notorious for injesting water due to lousy exhaust manifoild design.

Strange that systems designed to make things easier usually end up making more work!

Jeff"

"I have had similar problems e

"I have had similar problems every spring with the system...It seems that every time I winterize and then fire up in the spring the engine wants to overheat in the initial start up....I shut it down, wait a few minutes and then the system is primed...Seems like you stated the system is staying open...Razz"

Back