Logo

57L Alpha 1 runs 160 is this a problem

tabor

Just had it in the shop replac

Just had it in the shop replaced pump and thermosat (140) part number 807252t- perhaps a dumb question but its runs an 160 all day shop said this was by design- I have no idea and yes its my first Mercruiser

"My motors--with 140 t-stats i

"My motors--with 140 t-stats in them--run 150 to 155 degrees. Why? Darned if I know, but (as Troy said) it's normal.

Jeff"

"Here's an early Saturday

"Here's an early Saturday morning, prior to coffee theory:
I think the difference is largely due to the gage's temperature sender being mounted to a large chunk of metal (intake manifold) which will tend to hold the heat and reach a slightly higher steady running temperature than the cooling water. The sender's tip is in the water stream, but it's body is threaded to the manifold. This provides a path for heat from the surrounding metal to affect the indication.
The bimetalic part of the thermostat that actuates the valve is fully immersed in the major leg of the cooling water stream, which results in less of an effect from the surrounding metal.
Plus there's always inaccuracies in the gages. But those inaccuracies could go either way."

140 degree tstat just means it

140 degree tstat just means it begins to open at 140 (normally about 143). 155 to 165 is the norm but is subject to how well the cooling system is maintained. My 350's run 165 on infrared and my 3.0l runs 178 on infrared all day.

"Jeff,
That fine vessel is th

"Jeff,
That fine vessel is the USS Newport News (SSN 750), my second ship. My first was a boomer, JAMES K. POLK, the 645 boat."

It is a fast attack. Last of t

It is a fast attack. Last of the second flight 688 class. One hull number away from being a 688i.

"Yup, one more year, then it&#

"Yup, one more year, then it's back to Virginia... 'winterizing' will be from the end of striper season in December to the begining of the season in mid March."

"That is what mine run at.

"That is what mine run at.

Troy: Try Ambien (or beer) you'll sleep much better, and BTW, like Jeff said, thanks for serving our GREAT COUNTRY!!!"

Back