Logo

Running leg in up position

B

Bob B

"This is my first Volvo stern

"This is my first Volvo stern drive, 270 4cyl, and I have a couple of questions. Can you run with the drive tilted, in forward and reverse? Does the tilt motor automatically shut off when fully up or down? There is no guage or lite to tell you how high or low it is. Thanks"

"First of all, there are TWO t

"First of all, there are TWO types of V-P LU tilting arrangements: Power tilt and power trim.

Power tilt merely allows you to run the drive up, to get it out of the water (with a limit switch at full UP).

Power TRIM allows you to alter the angle of the drive while in run, even at full throttle.

Now, if you only have power TILT, you can still raise the LU to get out of a grounding situation--I did it regularly with mine. The drive has to be in neutral when you tilt it up, and you can't use ANY throttle in forward gear (it doesn't work at all in reverse since it isn't locked down). Give it any gas and the drive pin will go blooee!

Hope this helps...

Jeff

PS: The V-P drive with power TILT is the best setup if you hit something. The lower unit is unrestrained and flips right up, saving itself. A power TRIM tends to lock the drive down. Ouch!"

"Sorry to interrupt Jeff,

B

"Sorry to interrupt Jeff,

But you seem to know your stuff! Mine is a 270T tilt and trim set up. For some reason my leg has gone fully up and now won't go down

I am not using the hydraulic system, or power tilt controls, as I was told it was best to leave them alone and not fiddle with them due to thier age.

There does'nt seem to be any locking mechanism hold the leg up, you can lift it by hand about an half inch or so, but other than that its rock solid. Due to being stuck under the Harbour Bridge this new year I had no choice but to run the leg in the fully tilted posistion to my marina about 5 minutes away, have I caused extra damage?"

"Probably, darn it! Not sure

"Probably, darn it! Not sure what held the leg up, unless the power tilt rod bent (which is easy to do).

Jeff"

Back