Logo

Help identify a Chris Craft engine

andrew

Administrator
"The following came in by emai

"The following came in by email from David Conway... I'm hoping someone here might be able to help:
<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

I have just purchased a 1959 Riva super florida which has I have been told has a chris craft engine made by chrysler. The description in the riva manual states these boats are fitted with a chrysler SEA V, type N 303579 engine. My engine is a flat six cyclinder and not that which is pictured on the cover of your manual. Could you offer me some assistance as I am a bit confused. I believe the engine to be original, but not being an expert, I cannot be sure. Thank you.

and

Thank you for your email. I enclose a photograph or two of the engine.
It is frozen, will not move and half of the parts are in a wooden box. I have looked for a name plate. All that I have found so far is cc3240 on what seems to be a brass plate on the engine block- right hand side below what appears to be an external oil pump, and on a bracket which holds the alternator and starter is another number H1613. I do plan to have the motor taken out of the boat so the serial number may be visible then but I have not been able to locate it unless it is the first number above. I do need all the help I can find to see whether this motor is savageable- I hope so.

and

Thank you for your email. Could I ask you to post it . I'm not very adept at working on the computer. I have been told that the engine is a chris craft motor, manufactured byt chrysler. Would the cc3240 number on the engines right side represent chris craft ? Thank you for your help.

david conway
[email protected]<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>
13874.jpg

13875.jpg
2"">
13876.jpg

That's an old Chrysler fla

That's an old Chrysler flathead six all right. Hell to get parts for! I'd consider repowering with a modern v-8.

Jeff

"Some of the old in line sixes

"Some of the old in line sixes were hercules engines, but some were cryks, what ever it is the parts have gone the way of the Do Do bird,
good old engines in their day and have seen a few redone, but you need a kings ransom for that,"

"Does look like a six I had in

"Does look like a six I had in a 1953 Plymouth. Swapped it with an identical 1955 engine. Wow, that's going back a long way! If I'm not mistaken, the flat head sixes survived to 1959 in cars and then were superceded by the legendary slant six."

"I believe that is a HERCULES

"I believe that is a HERCULES Chris Craft motor,and they are still able to be rebuilt, and purchased outright in rebuilt form.

P"

Many of the CHRYSLER flatheads

Many of the CHRYSLER flatheads were installed in farm machinery / irrigation pumps etc. A good rebuild shop could help with the project.The example in the pictures looks "tough" and may not be worth the effort.Look on the internet for help under industrial engines.

"[url=""]http://ccmanuals.com/

"http://ccmanuals.com/engine/engine.htm

I think this link should clear up the issue of "what kind of engine is this?"

It's a Hercules. They were also used in big fork lifts, tow motors, and lots of other industrial use. They can, from what I understand, be rebuilt over and over again. Zolner pistons are still available, as many of these motors are still in service.

You must admit, the job the guy did in this link, is better than outstanding!

REgards, P"

"Dammed if you'll ain'

"Dammed if you'll ain't right: its Hercules! Still, unless you're interested in maintaining authenticity, to drop in a V-8.

Jeff"

"Hats off for dogsharks for fi

"Hats off for dogsharks for finding this site. It is good to see u can get bits for a classic. I worked for Christ Craft engine dist. in mid 70's in Vancouver Canada. Recall these ol gals, and still may around."

"My belief is, you can get mai

"My belief is, you can get main engine parts from just about any machine shop, thorugh their network of parts suppliers, etc. Getting some of the specialty gaskets for the marine application of this industrial motor may be a bit more difficult, but there sure are a lot of them out there in service. I ran a Hercules like this one for many years, and they run out of steam around 3200 rpm. They're not intended for rpm use, as they're torque monsters. I replaced one of my hercules with a V8 out of a CC Supersport, and the V8 weighs considerably less than this big six. These are truely "industrial" in every way.

Here's a photo link for my V8 swap
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v472/Dogsharks/2fe1d838.jpg"

HEre is a link you guys may find of interest, showing the entire engine haul out, and reinstallation. I updated it today in order to post the link here.

Regards

http://www.network54.com/Forum/424840/message/1126975110"

"David,
Your engine is a Her

"David,
Your engine is a Hercules QXLD based Chris Craft conversion. They ran from 105-131hp. THe original Sea V was an early Chrysler 318 with the valve covers scalloped on the lower edge. The Sea V had a poor survival rate.
That flat 6 is too small to have any fun in that hull. I have seen them with the larger JXLD based engines and Chevrolet small blocks. Chevrolet is by far the most user friendly and economical. If you decide to rebuild the Hercules parts are available at www.finewoodboats.com"

Jeff is once again right.
Do

Jeff is once again right.
Do not hesitate to repower with a v8. It will be easier than fixing the old rust pile.

Back