Logo

Gm v8 identification

rwfz

"I have an old boat with a gm

"I have an old boat with a gm 5.7 (I think) and VP 280 drive. number on valve cover 260a. other small tag in front cu43376 .I need detailed info about the motor as i may use parts for a street car project. Did they use a forged crank? what are the heads? comb. chamber ccs valve size are they vortecs?? I always heard that marine engine parts are stronger than the norm. the boat and VP outdrive will probably be for sale if anyone is interested. I,m about 2 hours north west of NYC. any help or info will be greatly appreciated. thanks."

"Many marine parts are upgrade

"Many marine parts are upgraded from their marine couterparts but not so much for structural strenghth. Marine starters and alternators are made to prevent arcing at the brushes from igniting a fire or explosion. Marine fuel pumps and carbuerators are made fail safe from leakage. Marine rubber fuel line is rated to withstand fire longer than automotive types. These items are for your safety on a boat and are required by law. Other differences can be thermostats in raw water cooling systems, 140 degrees for operating in salt water and 160 degrees in lakes and rivers. Hose clamps are a higher grade stainless than automotive ones. Changes in an engine might be later than it's automotive counterpart. A marine engine might have points and condenser where a similiar automotive engine of the same year will have an electronic distributor."

"could be a four bolt main, bu

"could be a four bolt main, but you never know till you drop the bottom, yes the rods and cranks are forged. It is a 350 cu in light truck block"

Back