Logo

Water in the gas

B

brandon pederson

" I have a 1991 Mastercraft tr

" I have a 1991 Mastercraft tristar 190 with a 350 chevy and an Indmar marine conversion. The engine cuts out and seems to be running out of gas. The problem is water in the gas, roughly 20%!

How is the water getting into the gas. I know it is not from the gas station, the hull appears to be sound with no water is entering it.

Any ideas? "

" I wouldn't presume it is

" I wouldn't presume it isn't from the gas station. NEVER fuel up while the gas tanker is at the station. NEVER!!!

Make sure the seal (o'ring) on the fuel cap is intact and fits well. If the fill hole is on the gunwhale, you may be sloshing water down over it when manuvering. Because a boat has an open vent system, condensation could be a problem and source for water, also. Keeping the tank full between uses eliminates it.

One method to remove the water would be to pump the fuel out and strain it through a chamois. The chamois will let fuel through but not water, or so they say. Pump all of the fuel out of the tank and treat it with some inexpensive fuel additives or denatured alcohol. The alcohol in the additives has a high affinity for the water and will absorb it. Then pump that gook out of the tank. Then monitor it closely.
Greg Kelly "

I had a similiar problem and

I had a similiar problem and found the water was getting in through the tank vent. Especially while trolling in heavy seas.

" had the same proplem and it

" had the same proplem and it was condensation,make sure you have a water filter and change as often as it needs it.Dont need to buy a new filter each time,just dont overtighten it and use a little oil on the gasket when putting it back on. "

Back