Logo

Mercruser 190hp 37l

searay57

Contributing Member
I am looking at a boat with tw

I am looking at a boat with twin mercruiser 190hp 3.7l 4cyl. I know nothing of this engine? is it a worth while set up or should i stick with the more common 5.0 5.7l chevy engines?

"The only thing I would worry

"The only thing I would worry about is availability of parts with the older and not too common models. I think most routine things are readily available, but if something goofy breaks, you could be in the hurt locker.

After being towed from 25 miles out ($1000), I would trade my single 5.7L for the twin 4 bangers any day, just for the redundancy.
I'd focus my decision on all the other indicators, like how well was the boat maintained, etc. etc."

"Just my opinion. But the 4 c

"Just my opinion. But the 4 cyl run rougher, and you will have twice the drag in the water with two outrdives so you lose lots of HP.
UNLESS you are going off shore, I'd rather have a 5.7 single.
Remember while you have the redundancy....the engines will down twice as often. Especially if these are older engines."

"Twin diesels are the way to g

"Twin diesels are the way to go, but until I win the lottery... I'll stick with what I have and let Nationwide worry about the cost of the tow."

"Twin engines have twice the p

"Twin engines have twice the parts, but that extra engine/ outdrive is woth it when an engine goes down (as Troy said). Also, the twins make manuevering a snap.

That said, those 3.7s are getting to be expensive oddballs. They run very strong--my slip neighbor has a 27 foot Sea Ray with that setup and it runs strong. My other slip neighbor has the same boat, but with a single 454, and it's a bit sluggish. Go figure.

Jeff"

Back