Logo

Carbueration or fuel injected

D

Don Z

" I am repowering a 21 ft skif

" I am repowering a 21 ft skiff, straight inboard with a new 350 engine (complete). I'm trying to decide the pro's and con's of carbuerated vs fuel injection (throttle body vs multi port) to get the best reliability and value.I have a concern about the computerized controller which may overide any type of emergency field repairs. Any recommendations or past experiences? Looking at Mercruiser, Marine Power and Crusader. "

" If the old engine had a carb

" If the old engine had a carb, go with a carb again. Here are my reasons:

The fuel and throttle systems are compatible with a carb - expensive to replace these!

FI systems are expensive to purchase and expensive to fix. Carbs are the opposite.

FI offers a slight advantage in performance and fuel economy (all other things being equal, which they never are!), but I feel these are more than offset by carb simplicity, reliability and low maintenance cost.

Salespeople will tell that a fuel injected engine will last longer, which is theoretically true. What they don't tell you is that most marine engines die from other causes long before that.

Marine FI systems are young technology. Carbs have been around for decades. Most of the advantages FI systems offer in cars are lost in boats.

So why are FI systems appearing on boats? Other than the "sexiness" of new technology, it's mostly because of emissions. Boats are in the EPA's crosshairs and mfgr's are learning what they need to do to lower exhaust emissions before the regulatory axe falls! "

" i'd be looking at the ne

" i'd be looking at the newest mercruiser small block chevy, 377cid, computer control fuel injection.............bolt that in + you'll be looking at 2000+hrs. of trouble free boating...... "

Looking for information on ho

Looking for information on how to adjust Q-Jet carbs on a 454. Having bad luck finding information on marine carburetors.

Back