Logo

Off Idle stall on 93 Evinrude 150HP Intruder

E

Ed Hom

" Hello Everyone, I've rea

" Hello Everyone, I've read with great interest many of these messages. I've been impressed with the advice and expertise shared here. I'm hoping someone can lend some insight into my problem. I've recently bought a 93 F&S with a 150 Intruder. The engine starts easily and will drop into gear and idle along. When I try to push it up on plane, it dies. I restart and try again, after about 6-10 tries I get it past 1000-1200 RPM and it runs fine at all speeds. If I stop, I have to go through this procedure again. Pumping the the fuel bulb doesn't seem to help. It has no problem running on a flush muff but not on the lake. The dealer checked the water separator, cleaned the carb bowls and replaced the spark plugs. I can now get up to speed when it's cold right out of the ramp but subsequent tries result in the engine dying again as I try to push past the 1000-1200 RPM mark. Since the dealer didn't try to troubleshoot using a test tank, he tested on the muff, I took it to another mechanic that was recommended to me. He used the tank and was able to reproduce the problem. He changed the spark plugs again - to the right ones, used a new fuel line and bulb to bypass the water separator and checked compression. He recommended rebuilding the carbs and based on what I had read here seemed like a reasonable solution. After the rebuild he called and said the problem is still there. He has talked to some other mechanics and they said to replace the intake manifold gaskets. They said the alcohol causes them to swell and cause air leaks. I hadn't seen this listed previously on the boards as a problem. They are a brown color and did seem to be swelling out but I would have thought alcohol resistant gaskets were used in 93. He also checked for a sticking timer base but he said it seemed OK. He is going to check timing now and order the gaskets. Is there anything else I can have him check? Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks "

Please let us know what you f

Please let us know what you find out. I've got a similiar problem with my '96 130 V-4. I ordered the carb kits today and will need to call them back and order the intake gasket. Looks like an easy job. Hopefully looks aren't deceiving! It's the only thing wrong with this boat and is getting frustrating. I'll let you know when I get my issue resolved.

you need to replace the optic

you need to replace the optical sensor in the ignition system. This problem is referenced in the 1999 service procedures manual. a qualified OMC tech will know what this is about. You can e-mail me if you need more info

" I appreciate the response. I

" I appreciate the response. I got the boat back from the mechanic on Saturday. He replaced the intake manifold gasket but that didn? correct the problem. The last thing he did, was timed the engine according to OMC? procedure with their Ignition tool. That seemed to help as far as minimizing the stalling but after going through the timing procedure, the idle is too high. Out of gear it? 1200 - 1300 RPM, in gear 750 RPM. The problem is, according to the manual, the only way to lower the RPM is to look for an air leak ?there is no adjustment. He looked and couldn? find a leak.

I had the boat out Saturday afternoon and it did not stall pushing it up on plane and this was on a 93 degree day. However I? not sure if that? because the idle is high. If I get it back down to a normal idle speed, it may start stalling again.

He referred me to a dealer since he is not as familiar with the newer motors and felt he was out of ideas. I'm going to take it out a few times first to see if the idle is consistently high. It doesn't seem to be slamming the gears too hard so I think it will survive a few trips. "

Back