Logo

Problems with My Evinrude

H

hhoglejr

" Hey Joe,

I have an Evir

" Hey Joe,

I have an Evirude E90mlcrd 1984 Model.
Everything has been fine since having the carbs rebuilt 6 mos. ago, I let it sit for 2 mos and started somewhat ok but will not idle and keeps stalling, I can keep it running by increasing the throttle. 2 problmes associated with with running pooly, 1) I can see fuel dripping out of the cover in front of the 2 carbs, 2) there is an oily fuel smelling sludgy stuff coming out of the prop hub area.
Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks Howie "

"Howie... It's possible th

"Howie... It's possible that you once again have a carburetor problem. Remove the face plate so that you can see what those carbs are doing. If they are flooding, that would account for the oily smelling stuff you see at the prop.... the engine would run lousy due to being loaded with fuel and the excess would be flowing down the exhaust housing and out through the prop.

The other scenario would be that a ignition problem exists (possibly in conjunction with the above) whereas the fuel in the cylinder wouldn't be burned, resulting the the fuel flowing down the exhaust housing.

See what those carbs are doing. Also check the compression and see if the ignition (spark) will jump a 7/16" gap on all cylinders (with the s/plugs out).

Joe
"

" Well again Joe you have led

" Well again Joe you have led me on the correct path. The carbs have flooded, why I am not sure but have had it out the last 2 days and haven't had any problems, I guess I just can't let it sit
for more than a week or so, Thanks.
Howie "

Back