Logo

OMC Outdrive seizing UP

chetvaldes

" The problem started when the

" The problem started when the motor suddenly stopped. After having it towed back I found it would start and just sort of putter without getting any rpm. I thought it was a motor problem until I took out the sparkplugs and cranked the motor over- it was slow and is tough to turn by hand. I think a bearing has seized on the input shaft in the upper section of the outdrive. I checked the oil level by taking out the filler screw on the transom plate, but I didn't see anything inside- how high should it be? The manual doesn't say, only fill it up. So I really don't know how much is in there, if any. In the manual its seems to be the "later model" used after 1982. It has a lower, middle, and upper oil chambers. Does the engine have to come out, or does the whole outdrive come off for repairs? Anyone have experience with this problem? "

" The Oil should be full to th

" The Oil should be full to the top vent on the gearcase.
You can remove the upper and lower cases without removing the engine. Simply remove the nuts that hold the case to the transom assembly. *Sometimes it is very difficult to pull the case apart from the transom assembly*. It can be done and this is where I would start. You could also drain the gear lube while the cases are together and still on the boat. You would be looking for excessive metal shavings on the bottom drain plug (the one with the magnet) It will be normal to have small amounts of metal shavings on the magnet but if there are a lot, or if there are large pieces on the magnet, the problem will most likely be as you suspect, in the gear case. "

Im looking for a foot for an

Im looking for a foot for an OMC cobra .Used in good condition.Do you know of any place to check thats trustworthy?

Back