Logo

1975 Johnson 70 problems restarting

rob

I have a 75 Johnson 70...It s

I have a 75 Johnson 70...It starts just fine and runs perfectly when i take it out..however....I always seem to have a problem restarting once or twice in a day after I shut the motor off to fish or just float and swim...It always starts again after i let it sit for a bit....Am I just flooding it or what? Or am I looking at some future problems?...After the motor starts again..it runs perfect again...Can anyone help?...Thanks.

Rob

"Rob.... What, exactly do you

"Rob.... What, exactly do you do when you attempt to restart the engine when you encountered this problem.

Joe
"

Hi Joe.....I'm just start

Hi Joe.....I'm just starting it like normal...no different than when i start it off the ramp.....I have a toggle choke and a warm up lever on the control console...I usually lift the warm up lever a bit and turn the key hitting the toggle just once or twice....However...yesterday I took it to the lake and the problem occurred once...I disconnected the fuel line from the engine and cranked it w/ out choking it...It started right up and I didnt have the problem for te rest of the day.

Rob

"Rob... I'd suggest that y

"Rob... I'd suggest that you remove the carburetor face plate so that you can see the throats of all three carbs. Then pump the fuel primer bulb up to a point whereas it is hard. The carb float chambers should fill but there should be no fuel escaping out of the carbs. If you see fuel running out the front of the carbs, or out of the nozzle within the carb throat, the carb(s) will require rebuilding as they are flooding, loading your engine with excess fuel.

If you have a faulty carburetor, that would explain why the engine started okay after you removed the fuel line.

If everything there is okay, it's possible that you are overlooking something in the starting procedure. The proper method is, on a cold first start of the day to pump the primer ball up hard, raise the warm up lever to its fully raised position (assuming that's a regular OMC control box), lift the choke toggle switch, and turn the key to the start position.

It's normal to hold the choke toggle switch in the choke position until the engine fires at least once, then let go of it. And when the engine starts, be ready to lower the warm up lever quickly to a safe rpm as the engine rpms may rise rather suddenly. Keep in mind that it is rather difficult to start a engine at idle or at near idle.... the reasoning for lifting the warm up lever to its full extent to open the throttle butterflys.

On a warm engine.... the starting procedure would be the same but try to start it without engaging the choke first. Let us know what happens.

Joe
"

Thanks Joe....I will take a l

Thanks Joe....I will take a look and let you know...BTW....what does it cost to rebuild or over hual the carbs? any guestimates?

Carb kits are $15 a piece and

Carb kits are $15 a piece and are very easy to do. My local shop wanted $45/hr (1hr per carb) + parts. So I got out the trusty shop manual and did it myself. It's really not that hard. I'd be glad to email you the pages from the manual that outline the steps for a rebuild. Email me if you would like them.

Thanks Kevin....I may take yo

Thanks Kevin....I may take you up on that if thats what i need to do...I'll be in touch.

Rob

Back