Logo

Question for Joe

L

lonnie trout

" Joe, I just inherited a 1974

" Joe, I just inherited a 1974 70hp evinrude, that you helped me Id...thank you, the problem is the motor has been sitting unused for the past six to seven years. I have talked to two mechanics, who besides being to busy to work on the motor, just shook their heads and said I was looking at a lot of money to bring it back to life as the parts deteriorate. Knowing OMC's as you do whats your opinion. In your estimation is there a number of crital things on the engine that might need replacing just because its been sitting unused.

thanks,
lt "

"The carbs will most certainly

"The carbs will most certainly be fouled due to sitting... remove, clean, and rebuilt them with complete carb kits. Make sure the lower unit's full of lube.... fill from the bottom large slotted screw (drain plug) until the lube come out the top screw of identical appearance. Other than that... run it on a flushette with the water turned on full force and see what happens.

Of course, check the plugs, ignition (spark) with the s/plugs out, compression before and after running..... general checks for frayed wiring etc.

Joe
"

" I would also suggest inspect

" I would also suggest inspecting/replacing the water pump impeller. My neighbor bought a 1980 Merc 20HP that had set for several years. Plenty of water came out of the "pee" hole when on the muffs, but when he took it to the lake it overheated. I helped him tear it down and the impeller had absolutely dissentigrated, most likely from dry rot. Most of it was in little pieces down in the intake.

I would say without a doubt to replace that, especially if the previous owner is unsure when it was last replaced. "

Back