Logo

Give the bad news 150 Evinrude Engine ran without oil

M

MartyMiller

" Last year we put up my 1978

" Last year we put up my 1978 150 engine with a full tank and my buddy was supposed to put the oil in the next day. I reminded him twice in the next 2 weeks but to make a long story shorter when I took it out last week for the first time I ran it for at least 30 mins on the main tank that had no oil mixed in. It finally quit with a horrible racket, although it was running great up to that moment. When it stopped I remembered the last fillup and noticed that the gas in the filter was pink not green. I carry a spare 6 gallon tank that was properly mixed. I emptied the fuel line of the oilless gas and pumped up the other tank. After a few minutes it cranked up and as the new mixture made it to the engine it smoothed out. We were able to get back to the landing with no problem. Yesterday I took it back out after I had double oilled the main tank and ran it for about 45 minutes. It ran fair but at high rpms it would start to die and then surge so I was afraid to push it (I was not close to the landing and it was late). Since I wasn't sure it poor running was due to engine damage or the extra oil when I got back to the dock I switched to the spare with a proper mixture and turned it up. It seemed to run great for about 5 minutes when it came to a stop. After that the starter couldn't turn the engine. What should I do. Is it likely to be repairable? Any estimates? Should I chunk it and look for another?
Broken Hearted in Carolina "

"Marty.... You've learned

"Marty.... You've learned a lesson the hard way my friend, and that is "If you don't have the oil on hand, DO NOT add the fuel".

The only thing you can do is have the powerhead tore down, seperate the good parts from the bad, then make up an accurate estimate. The normal overhaul on that type V/6 usually runs in the area of about $1800/2000. However, running without oil, and running to a point whereas the engine seizes would make me visulize a damaged crankshaft, connecting rods etc which would really run the bill up!

But as above, the only way to know is to tear it down for inspection.

Joe
"

" Thanks Joe, that's about

" Thanks Joe, that's about what I figured.
Got any suggestions for a good OMC mechanic in the Raleigh-Durham area of NC.
Marty "

Back