Logo

Difficulty Restarting a warm 40 hp Mariner

L

Lonnie Fast

" Need some help here. I have

" Need some help here. I have a 1991 40 HP Mariner. Motor starts and runs perfect. However on 3 occasions last season as well as twice this year I cannot restart the engine when warm. Pretty frustrating, starts great, motor to fishing spot, shut off for a few minutes, go to leave and engine turns over but won't fire, end up trolling back to dock( acts like it is flooded, won't start the rest of the day, but starts the following morning on the 1st turn of the key). I have had it in 2 different shops and have not been able to duplicate the same problem. Starts every time for them no matter how many times they restart or what length of time they run engine. I have plenty of spark, fuel pump is pumping, changed gas. Is there any chance this could be caused by a bad coil ? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. "

Hi Lon.....Next time it doesn

Hi Lon.....Next time it doesnt start..try disconnecting the fuel line from the engine ...Then crank a few times w/ out choking it until the gas burns out of the carbs....dunno worth a try...If it is flooding..that should take care of it.

Rob

"Lonnie,

It sounds like you

"Lonnie,

It sounds like you may have a burnt head gasket. Check the spark plugs for signs of water.

Many of the Mariner outboards have an anode in the water jacket under the cylinder head. This anode needs to be replaced regularly because of electrolysis problems. After a few years, the electrolysis causes a build up in the water jacket and prevents the water from circulating.

"

" a 91 Mariner 40hp does not h

" a 91 Mariner 40hp does not have a head gasket, nor a cylinder head. It is the same as a Merc 40hp 4cyl "

"Boat doctor,

I think you a

"Boat doctor,

I think you are confused here. The 91 Mariner is actually a Yamaha ( as were many Mariners). I can assure you it has a conventional head gasket and a cylinder head.

"

Back