Logo

Honda 225 outboard

• Thread starter daniel schlueter
  • Start date
D

daniel schlueter

"I work as a tech on honda out

"I work as a tech on honda outboard engines and Im hoping for outside the box viewpoints on an ongoing problem that we are having. Past the 5000 rpm range we are having surging problems (rpms drop approx. 1500 rpm then return and son and so forth) it doesnt do it to both engine on the boat at the same time. Some boats both engines are affected others just one are. non-the-less we replaced the racor filters and the problem stops for atleast 10-20 hours but still returns. the fuel source has been checked and found no to have any problems (thats what the supplier said) and I was wondering if anyone has has similiar problems, or has any suggestions."

"Surging tends to be caused by

"Surging tends to be caused by a restriction in the fuel line upstream of the fuel vapor separator. What happens is that the high pressure (electric) pump is pumping out more fuel from the vapor separator than is being pumped in. When the vapor separator runs out of fuel, all fuel pressure is lost and the engine falls flat on its' face. It is most likely caused by a clogged low pressure fuel filter or the fuel line is pinched between the low pressure fuel pump and the rigging grommet where the fuel line comes into the engine. Other sources include the fuel pickup tube is clogged up inside the fuel tank or the antisiphon valve on the tank is clogged up. Run the engine with a portable tank and hook it up directly to the low pressure fuel pump. If the problem goes away, the problem is upstream of the LPF pump. Continuous lower than normal WOT RPM's are typically caused by a clogged VST screen, clogged high pressure fuel filter, or the high pressure fuel pump going out. I have lots of experience with Hondas, hope this helps."

where exactly is the high pres

where exactly is the high pressure filter. it mentions it in the owners manual but cant manage to find a drawing. my local dealer is 2 weeks out to come fix it and would like to spend the rest of the summer with the kids.

thanks in advance

"Daniel, what ended up being t

"Daniel, what ended up being the issue? I have a 225 that now is having a similar issue. Thanks Brad"

Back