Logo

4108 Inclined Installation

w4cruiser

"We recently purchased a Pears

"We recently purchased a Pearson 390C with a mid-life Perkins 4-108 installed sloped down about 20 degrees. I note from the literature that this is permissible. We powered 7 hours, everything fine, no smoke, good pressure, good power. But when I checked, the oil doesn't reach the dipstick. I put in two quarts, and got white smoke, which seems to indicate overfill. The dipstick was still dry. Since the dipstick is at the upper end of the oil pan, filling to that level would get up to the main seal on the lower end. How can I check for the correct oil level? The operating and mechanic's manuals I have mention checking the oil "in a level installation." Thanks."

"Hello Wayne, I just finished

"Hello Wayne, I just finished a complete rebuild of a Westerbeke 4-107 (Perkins 4-107). Confirm if the oil pan is the same. If it is, the dipstick tube reaches to the deepest part of the oil pan, and the dipstich reaches a good ways down the tube. I'll know in a week or two how much oil needs to be added before it shows on the dipstick. Feel free to email. [email protected]"

Back