Logo

20 pole stator configuration

galamb

Silver Medal Contributor
"Spend a good bit of the weeke

"Spend a good bit of the weekend working on a buddies 90 horse force (makes me love my Mercs even more). We found an obvious ignition problem and narrowed it down to one of the CDI packs - hopefully problem solved when the new pack is installed.

However, this has one of the Chrysler type 20 pole stators and even looking at the wiring I can't get a solid grip on how these are configured.

Obviously some of the windings are ignition and some are charging.

My question is, do the 20 pole versions have low and high speed windings on the iginition side????

The motor is a 3 cylinder with 2 CDI (power) packs. Pack 1 runs coils 1 and 2, pack 2 runs coil 3 (and could run 4 if it was a 4 cylinder).

There is 4 ignition leads from the stator. In the three cylinder set-up, 1 feeds a connection on pack 1, two are joined together to also feed pack 1 and the 4th lead feeds pack 2.

If it was configured for 4 cylinder, 2 leads would go to each pack.

My assumption is that two of the leads would be high speed and two from low speed windings (ganged together on pack 1) and that this model is rigged to run on two cylinders at idle and all three above whatever the rpm threshold would be.

But I absolutely don't know if these had low/high speed windings and can't seem to find info on this anywhere - and the manual is just plain useless in this regard...."

"No luck at standard magneto,

"No luck at standard magneto, they have no idea how these are configured - just sell the parts in the case of the 20 pole - they are an excellent source, however, for prestolite ignition parts - even the hard to find stuff.

So I still don't know if the 20 pole stator has low/high speed windings (???)

If someone knows the answer or trips over it somewhere, I would appreciate finding out...."

"Thanks, I'll track him do

"Thanks, I'll track him down if he doesn't pop in. The configuration doesn't quite make sense the way it's wired up on the 3 cylinder - but it's wired exactly to the manual (??)"

"No, the 20 pole is not a hi/l

"No, the 20 pole is not a hi/lo. The setup is such that each cylinder will have it's own pair of stator leads. The three cylinder will have one cd box output going nowhere. The input stator would be joined together on a 3 cyl IIRC.
The stator is known for going bad on these."

Thanks Bandit - just couldn&#3

Thanks Bandit - just couldn't quite make sense of the way it was wired from the stator to the CDI boxes..

Back