Logo

292 ci Interceptor 1961 LHR

phillk

"Hello
I have a couple of que

"Hello
I have a couple of questions, any help would be appreciated.

1. My 1961 292 ci has 2 side draft carbs, everything original. What type of fuel should I burn? What grade of motor oil would be suitable?

2. It would appear that the intake manifold is aluminum. If I want to convert to an upright carb, do I still neeed an aluminum intake?

Thanks.
Phil in Ottawa, Canada"

"Can,t comment on 1.), but

"Can,t comment on 1.), but for question 2- the carbs are Carter YC's and the manifold is aluminum. This package gives the engine an extremely low profile and generally give good service. Same carbs as the early Corvette with the 6 banger. You might want to put a fresh kit in them, as they are known to be leakers. I am sure an aluminum intake is available from Edlebrock.

Good luck,
Dave"

"Phil,
Re: 1 -Type of Fuel: R

"Phil,
Re: 1 -Type of Fuel: Regular gas works fine (87 octane or higher) You should add a lead additive to your fuel unless your motor has been modified to handle unleaded gas.

RE: 2- You can get an aftermarket Aluminum down draft intake but most conversions use a cast iron automobile intake which are generally more available. The only advantage of aluminum is lighter weight.
In either case the water outtake, ie-goose neck, system will have to be retrofitted because the original intake doesn't have a provision for the water coming out of the motor and going overboard.

One solution to this problem is to cut off the intake as described by Donald Moore, he sent me a picture of his cut-off manifold, See article on Water System for Y- block Interceptor.
Another solution is to make an adaptor that fits on the front of the automobile manifold that provides the proper water flow to the exhaust manifolds when the thermostat is closed. In this scenario you don't have to cut off the automobile manifold. Let me know if you want pictures of these two soultions.
Ray"

Back