Logo

280 Volvo 350 olds overheating

freefallerz

"Hi there!
Bought a 1974 Bayl

"Hi there!
Bought a 1974 Bayliner Saratoga and have not been able to track down cause of engine overheating. Changed thermostat, water pump impeller, rodded through the heat exchanger to ensure no blockages, checked the exhaust manifold risers for blockages or restrictions, changed the rad cap, checked timing, inspected all the hoses and even installed a clear section of hose in the raw water pump supply line to ensure adequate cooling water supply. I can cruise all day at about 3200 RPM but as soon as I try to get it up on full plane it overheats, right now...
I haven't been able to use the boat for it's purpose of weekend cruisin' and am startin to lose the love. HELP!!!"

"Brian,
Did you check the

"Brian,
Did you check the oil cooler, it might be partially plugged which might expalin the overheating at higher RPM only."

"I will give the oil cooler th

"I will give the oil cooler the once over. I still have not found any other source....
The clear piece of tubing that I installed in the raw water line didn't show any great degreee of bubbles going through the line. There was some very minor, tiny bubbles passing that could be seen but nothing that, in my opinion, would cause a lack of cooling. One thing I did notice was that the clear tubing was pulled almost flat while at higher RPM leading me to believe that there could be a restriction in the leg somewhere????"

"Brian,
Searching old posts a

"Brian,
Searching old posts and saw this one, did you ever figure out what the cause was? Just courious because I had an '86 Bayliner Contessa with the AQ260/motor-AQ280/outdrive pkg and had a similar problem. We eventually pulled the boat and found 'muscles' had grown in the interior pick-up tubes of the outdrive, cleaned them out as well as 'boiling' the heat exchanger and replacing the raw water pump impeller....problem gone."

Back