Logo

VolvoMD11C rebuild

jashenderson

"I have a VolvoMD11C with sail

"I have a VolvoMD11C with saildrive in my 33' sailboat. I want to take the engine out to either repower or rebuild. Can anyone tell me what problems I might have, what to do, what to look for, how many bolts hold the engine in, how does the saildrive come out?

Jim Henderson"

"Hi Jim -

Timely post, I s

"Hi Jim -

Timely post, I spent all of yesterday getting a tired MD11C out of a Baltic 37, and then putting in a rebuilt MD11C. I had some inclination and suggestions to repower with something newer and gruntier, but the cost and simplicity of a straight swap were compelling. There are also a number of folks that have rebuilt old MD11Cs for a shrinking market, and they can be had for a pretty good price. Finally, the MD11C is simple and reliable, even if heavy and lower powered.

The main issue on removal was access to the motor, which is really shoe-horned into the Baltic. There are three bolts that go through each engine mount plate, and then through a bar with feet that traverses the engine compartment. Access to the bolts was difficult and be prepared to wrench off the inner ones a 1/4 turn at a time. Alternative is to unbolt the engine feet from the top of the rubber mount and remove the mounts later. The other challenge was pulling it out after unbolting from the saildrive (the boat stayed in the water for the engine change), which can be carefully done. All of this is easier with two people to wrestle the partially hanging engine while levering it away from the saildrive.

Be careful, do it slowly, and hope you have easier access then we did.

Chris"

On Monday I'll be pulling

On Monday I'll be pulling out my MD11C to repower my boat. This engine has low hours but some shoddy mechanical work by the previous owner has wrecked the holes for the rocker arm hold down bolts. After much tinkering our wives want the reliability of a new engine. Let me know if you need parts as I have lots of good stuff to sell.

Message to Robert O'Dea:

Message to Robert O'Dea: I was reviewing old postings and saw your post re replacing the Volvo Penta MD11C in your boat.... I am in the process of rebuilding the same engine and I am shopping for parts.... do you still have the old MD11C? Do you have any good sources for parts? Thanx for any help you can forward.... harry

Back