Logo

Hard starting Honda 99hp and 8hp

M

marcwedge

I have 2 2001 Honda 9.9hp outb

I have 2 2001 Honda 9.9hp outboards on my boat. If I let them sit for a week or two they are really hard to start. They are both electric start. Pumping the throttle a few times seems to help but they still don't start right up. I have another boat that I put a 2007 Honda 2007 on and I have the same problem. After they do start then they will start right up every time until they sit idle for a week or two. I use premium gas now to see if that helps but so far it doesn't seem to. A friend of mine has a 2005 Honda 8.0hp on his boat and has the same problem. I had 2 older 9.9hp Honda's (1981 and 1983) they both started with no problem. They were not electric start but would start on the 1st or 2nd pull. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

"Does anyone have any idea how

"Does anyone have any idea how I can fix this? I've owned outboards since 1975 and Honda's since 1981 so I know how to start them. I know there is a problem with starting the 2001 and 2007 9.9hp electric and the 2005 8hp electric start. I've had 1981, 1983 and 1987 Hondas with manual pull start and manual chokes that started after one or two pulls after sitting idle for a long time. I have another electric start that I think is a 1998 that starts right up afer sitting idle for weeks. It also has a manual choke. So has anyone else had this problem with the newer Honda's? I think it must have something to do with the automatic choke. I do prime the bulb, I do turn the ignition on, I even try pumping the throttle. I'm looking for some kind of constructive answers. And I put the throttle in the Start position. I've even tried increasing the throttle while trying to start. Thanks."

"I checked the Honda dealer we

"I checked the Honda dealer website for service bulletins and there aren't any (however, there are bulletins for this problem on the BF25 - BF50's). The answer for those engines is a new automatic choke solinoid. In your case, most likely the enrichment passage in the carb is clogged up. You need to remove the carb and clean out all jets. Blow compressed air into every hole you can see (after the jets are out), including the holes on the air intake side of the carburator (visible on the outside of the carb), as well as the tiny holes inside the throat of the carburuator on the engine side of the butterfly valve. The single hole on the side of the throat is the enrichment circuit outlet. You will have to crack the throttle open a little bit to see the rest of the holes.

BTW, to remove the air box you will need a long socket extension with either a wobble end, or a swivel head socket to reach the screw located down by the fuel filter."

"Have you considered the Fuel

"Have you considered the Fuel Pump diaphram? I had similar problems with my long idle 1999 Honda 8..I cleaned the carb, replaced the carb, swapped out plugs with a hotter plug and in a final attempt before selling the motor I ordered a fuel pump diaphram and now my ultra low hour Honda 8 starts up with 2 pulls.. Now I love the motor and wouldn't dream of selling it!! I also religously winterize the motor using stabil and drain the carb.."

"My new 9.9 is quirky to start

"My new 9.9 is quirky to start. Has hi altitude jet, but problem occurs at all altitude. Sometimes starts with throttle in "start" but othertimes starts better at "full throttle" which I then turn down. Runs fine otherwise. I can live with this. Hope this helps."

Have 2001 honda 75hp out boar

Have 2001 honda 75hp out board hard to start battery draing hard but once engine is warm starts easy one click starting rest of day .Next day samething.any suggestion

Back